got ethical husbandry?

Petco $1/gallon sale - looking for 40 breeder

Not sure on the actual numbers, I find the bigger bulkhead is easier to keep quiet as well. Not sure how important that is. You can go down to 1" pipe after the elbow I bet no problem, just getting through the horizontal part is the issue. 1" may be fine, but if it isn't, you are kinda stuck
Ok, I think I'm sold on just paying the extra money for the Glass Holes kit with the 1.5" bulkhead. I was looking at threads for drilled 40 breeders and it seems like pretty much everyone uses that kit.

Not sure on the actual numbers, I find the bigger bulkhead is easier to keep quiet as well. Not sure how important that is. You can go down to 1" pipe after the elbow I bet no problem, just getting through the horizontal part is the issue. 1" may be fine, but if it isn't, you are kinda stuck
Alright, well I just ordered the Glass Holes kit with the 1.5" bulkhead. I figured I might as well be safe and there isn't that much plumbing for the drain, so it shouldn't take up too much space. I also bought the 3/4" return kit from Glass Holes. Both of those kits include the correct size holesaws, so I guess I'm committed to drilling this tank myself. *Anxiety* Haha!

Yep, I just needed a serious break. I definitely won't be around as much as I used to, just too busy right now, but I'll try to be around more frequently. Oh yeah, is the 210 coming down because you're moving? The 40B is a really nice size. I just got it carried up to my apartment today and I really like the dimensions. It seems huge compared to my 30 gallon because of the depth. Denzil, have you drilled a tank before? Trying to decide if I can pull this off without cracking the tank, haha.

The 210's coming down because we sold it but it is in part to us for the eventuality of us moving to a home. It'll make it easier on ourselves when moving time comes around next year.

I haven't drilled any tanks (yet) but have drilled many things before, especially with hole saws. It's definitely suggested that you get some putty and put some water to help keep the drilling temps down, just like in the Glass Holes video. Don't worry too much about putting a lot of pressure, just let the weight of the portable drill take care of that. The most important part is applying even, level pressure all around. A drill press would be even more ideal.

The 210's coming down because we sold it but it is in part to us for the eventuality of us moving to a home. It'll make it easier on ourselves when moving time comes around next year.

I haven't drilled any tanks (yet) but have drilled many things before, especially with hole saws. It's definitely suggested that you get some putty and put some water to help keep the drilling temps down, just like in the Glass Holes video. Don't worry too much about putting a lot of pressure, just let the weight of the portable drill take care of that. The most important part is applying even, level pressure all around. A drill press would be even more ideal.
Oh ok. Sounds like a plan. Definitely would not want to move that huge tank!

Yeah, I've used hole saws a bit, just never on glass. I'm going to follow the Glass Holes video and hope for the best. I think its probably relatively simple. I'll still be super anxious until both holes are done successfully. I am going to cry if I crack the tank, haha. Luckily it was only $40. My kit from Glass Holes gets here tomorrow, so I may try to drill tomorrow night or Saturday morning. That way I can go pick up another 40 breeder for $40 if I crack the tank. The Petco $1/gallon sale ends on Saturday. I don't want to have to wait for that to happen again if I crack the tank.

Best advice I ever got about drilling a tank, is put something on the inside of the tank like a towel or something to catch the "puck" of glass that can potentially fall down to the other pane of glass and crack it. Even though you will most likely tape up the area and such, I have seen it happen in videos where people successfully drill a tank without cracking it and have the puck fall through and crack the other side.

Happy drilling!

Best advice I ever got about drilling a tank, is put something on the inside of the tank like a towel or something to catch the "puck" of glass that can potentially fall down to the other pane of glass and crack it. Even though you will most likely tape up the area and such, I have seen it happen in videos where people successfully drill a tank without cracking it and have the puck fall through and crack the other side.

Happy drilling!
Yeah that would really suck. Luckily the instructions on the Glass Holes website stresses that point!

Drill press would be sweet if tank is clamped down right I think. Might wanna check it has enough clearance for the tank w the hole saw attached though. Easy enough to do by hand, especially if you have the tank on its side.

I used a board for a guide that I cut a hole in w the same size hole saw first and then clamped it to the tank. And I used a spray bottle to apply water a few times

Drill press would be sweet if tank is clamped down right I think. Might wanna check it has enough clearance for the tank w the hole saw attached though. Easy enough to do by hand, especially if you have the tank on its side.
Yeah, from what I was looking at it seems like it could be quite a hassle trying to get the drill press set up on the tank. Also it sounds like its hard to control pressure with the drill press and you might end up putting too much pressure. It would be nice for starting the hole and being able to lift up and go right back down in the same place, but I think by hand is a better option.

I used a board for a guide that I cut a hole in w the same size hole saw first and then clamped it to the tank. And I used a spray bottle to apply water a few times
Yeah the kit I ordered is supposed to come with a wood guide. I was just going to clamp that in place to get the hole started. Once I get the hole started I was going to remove the guise and use plumber's putty to make a water reservoir so I don't have to keep spraying water while I'm drilling.

Ok, so I started drilling tonight and its going well so far. Unfortunately, the battery on my drill died before I could finish. I charged it for a few hours, but apparently I needed to charge it overnight. Also, I think I was being overly cautious and going way too slow. I've almost finished the overflow hole. I'm letting the drill charge overnight and then tomorrow I'll finish the overflow hole and then drill the return hole.

Not going over the rim for return? Just make sure you account for back siphon etc...make hole up high
Nope, I want everything nice and clean this time around, so the return is going to be drilled as well. I've got a true Union check valve that's going on the return line so that it can't back siphon. I got the true Union version so I can clean it out regularly and make sure it's working properly. I'll probably also drill a small hole in the return line in the tank so siphon will break if something happens with the check valve.

Last edited:
Well done! The breakoff is nice and even which is a good sign. I smoothed mine out with some 2200 diamond sandpaper.
Thanks! The second hole is done now too. Whew! Very relieved that I'm not currently driving to Petco to get another 40B haha. Yeah it seems like the holes came out relatively smooth. I was wondering if maybe I should smooth them out with some sandpaper. I'll have to go pick some up on my next trip to Ace. I realized I forgot one plumbing part I need of course!

Here are photos of drilling the return hole:

Goofy cat included for scale :-D

How do you plan on setting up your return? You can possibly do without the check valve if you use Loc-Line and then drill a really small hole on the underside of one of the connecting pieces, typically closest to the glass so that when the return pump is turned off, some water will back siphon but not enough to be a problem. It really depends on the height of the return line in comparison to the water line based on the positioning of your overflow.

Back