Neptune Aquatics

Peter's Garage Tank

Thanks! My wife says it is not fair that I am the only one that gets to enjoy the garage tank, so she wants a reef in the living room. My issue is I dont want to hear a reef running all night. The freshwater tanks in the L/R get completely shut down at 9pm til 7am. I would like to figure a way to do a remote sump in the garage but all the piping would have to go up to make it into the garage.
You better get one soon. Before she changes her mind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! My wife says it is not fair that I am the only one that gets to enjoy the garage tank, so she wants a reef in the living room. My issue is I dont want to hear a reef running all night. The freshwater tanks in the L/R get completely shut down at 9pm til 7am. I would like to figure a way to do a remote sump in the garage but all the piping would have to go up to make it into the garage.
Any way to plumb through the wall which is what I've done? I have essentially just the DT in my living room, and all the noisy stuff squirreled away in garage. It's not silent, but nothing that distracts us ...

Any way to plumb through the wall which is what I've done? I have essentially just the DT in my living room, and all the noisy stuff squirreled away in garage. It's not silent, but nothing that distracts us ...
No. It would have to go through 2 foundations and under 6 feet of concrete slab, or go up through the attic and back down to the garage.

A 20 gallon can sound soothing, a 150 sounds like a factory;)
You can make a large tank very quiet if you prioritize that from the beginning. My RSR750 is 200g total, in the family room, and very quiet.

My wife doesn’t complain about it and she is bothered by even quiet repetitive noises, like me typing this post on my iPad as quietly as I can. :)

Is it even possible (plumbing wise) to go up from the D/T to the attic and then back down to another room and get everything to flow?

Then you will need to deal with insulating your pipes, because it gets really hot in attic during summer and cold in winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You can make a large tank very quiet if you prioritize that from the beginning. My RSR750 is 200g total, in the family room, and very quiet.

My wife doesn’t complain about it and she is bothered by even quiet repetitive noises, like me typing this post on my iPad as quietly as I can. :)
There is something really wonderful about all the mechanicals in the garage. I can make all the mess I want and not trash the hardwood floors. And the humming really bothers me

Skimmer can be shut off at night with little issue.
Everything else can be made quite enough not to care.

You can run backwards also, if you sacrifice some space in the DT.
The (lower) DT would have the return pump, and (higher) sump has an overflow.
But that would be rather confusing and complex.

As a side note, when I first ran everything through the wall into the garage, it was WORSE.
The vibration from return pump coupled into the drywall, and the entire house was humming.
:mad:
Easy enough to fix with some padding around the pipe, but not fun.

One really key part: Spend a bit for a really quiet skimmer. As you up-size, the skimmer can get really noisy.
My sump is in the garage, but really just for access and spills now. It is totally quiet.
(240G tank, 100G+ sump)

Skimmer can be shut off at night with little issue.
Everything else can be made quite enough not to care.

You can run backwards also, if you sacrifice some space in the DT.
The (lower) DT would have the return pump, and (higher) sump has an overflow.
But that would be rather confusing and complex.
Yea, I did think about putting the sump in the garage loft.... but I ain't lifting water up the stairs and this is earthquake country.

Back