Cali Kid Corals

Peter's Garage Tank

Hopefully diatoms. If so, normal for a new tank, and will go away.
But a bit stringy, so not so sure.

You sure you want a wall like that?
Personal aesthetics aside, it can be a pain for flow, cleaning, and so on.
The stringy is bacteria from the carbon dosing.
As for the wall, there is room behind it (except at the top) and nothing is glued in so we can restructure in the future. We wanted as much sandbed in the front as possible and kinda tall 'cause our lighting is only 4 x 24 inch t5s and we wanted the top to be flat with room for frag plugs.
We are supposed to clean the rocks?
Cheers! Mark

Bacteria on the heater
image.jpeg

Why don’t you leave the heater in the sump if all water goes back into it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I do have a heater in the sump and 1 in each of the displays - 3 total. This way if one fails the other 2 will keep everything warm and I think it helps keep the temp. more steady?
Cheers!

Yep, siphon it out and give it to @kinetic. I know he’ll want some more. ;)

omg tell me about it.

My dinos didn't have bubbles either for a VERY long time.

Can't say that's dinos or not for sure, but it looks just like what I had. It stayed down for awhile, but eventually exploded. I'm no expert, but people say keep NO3/PO4 high enough so that algae can out compete for everything else and the dinos will go away. Dinos thrive better with low NO3/PO4, whereas algae does not. If the opposite is true, you'll have algae and not dinos... and you can probably just grow chaeto to combat display tank algae.

omg tell me about it.

My dinos didn't have bubbles either for a VERY long time.

Can't say that's dinos or not for sure, but it looks just like what I had. It stayed down for awhile, but eventually exploded. I'm no expert, but people say keep NO3/PO4 high enough so that algae can out compete for everything else and the dinos will go away. Dinos thrive better with low NO3/PO4, whereas algae does not. If the opposite is true, you'll have algae and not dinos... and you can probably just grow chaeto to combat display tank algae.
Yea, I saw the pic of your tank, those dinos are messy. The start up of this tank is a bit different than most due to the fact that it shares water with an existing tank that has been carbon dosed for a while and has a thriving bacterial population. I would think the established bacteria would out compete algae, cyano, and hopefully dinos.
Cheers!

Yea, I saw the pic of your tank, those dinos are messy. The start up of this tank is a bit different than most due to the fact that it shares water with an existing tank that has been carbon dosed for a while and has a thriving bacterial population. I would think the established bacteria would out compete algae, cyano, and hopefully dinos.
Cheers!

Yeah, I think there's plenty of things that will outcompete the dinos. I just had a perfect storm (and I'm the luckiest person alive, especially when it comes to pests and such haha). Keep an eye on it and your NO3/PO4.

Today's addition - Court Jester Goby
image.jpeg

Current livestock in new tank:
4 - Court Jester Gobies
1 - Coral Beauty
1 - Blue Sided Fairy
1 - Tailspot Blenny
14 - Trocus

Back