High Tide Aquatics

Peter's Garage Tank

Doing a little planning on the upcoming sump for the 100g. We have this 25g sump and wondering if it is going to be big enough? We have never had a sump before. Would guess the skimmer will go on the right side? Then if we put the return pump in the left side, we don't have much room for anything else. There looks to be a couple of support cleats on the left compartment and a tray will drilled holes that I have no idea what to do with.
sump1.png

That depends on how much water your tank will dump once pump stops working, my 55 would need a 20g or bigger, if you plan to plug other tanks into it, you might need even bigger sump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That depends on how much water your tank will dump once pump stops working, my 55 would need a 20g or bigger, if you plan to plug other tanks into it, you might need even bigger sump.

We are going to have the 100g tank with the 20g frag tank plumbed in. If I use a larger tank to make a sump, and put my own partitions in, can I just use aquarium caulk/adhesive for the divider panels? I am thinking we need at least 4-5 compartments for skimmer, rocks, some greens or mangrove, heater, and return pump?

Yes, a viral hazard, not bacterial
Microbiology isn't my main thing, so maybe I am misunderstanding.

In "Basic Medical Laboratory Techniques", the section on aseptic technique and working with bacteria says to avoid formation of aerosols when sterilizing innoculation loops in flame or incinerators.

"Manual of Clinical Microbiology" recommends using electric sterilizers instead of Bunsen burners with bacterial innoculation loops to avoid aerosols during heat sterilization. [Or] avoid heat sterilization by using disposable loops.

Procedures for aseptic technique say to cool innoculation loops briefly to prevent generating bacterial aerosols when doing transfers.

"Biosafety in Microbiological and Biomedical Laboratories" says to avoid generating aerosols by not using flame when preparing tuberculosis slides.

Greetings All!
Back from Disneyland and all the tanks appear great. The water level in the 65g with attached frag tank only dropped about a 1/4". Yay!

Microbiology isn't my main thing, so maybe I am misunderstanding.

In "Basic Medical Laboratory Techniques", the section on aseptic technique and working with bacteria says to avoid formation of aerosols when sterilizing innoculation loops in flame or incinerators.

"Manual of Clinical Microbiology" recommends using electric sterilizers instead of Bunsen burners with bacterial innoculation loops to avoid aerosols during heat sterilization. [Or] avoid heat sterilization by using disposable loops.

Procedures for aseptic technique say to cool innoculation loops briefly to prevent generating bacterial aerosols when doing transfers.

"Biosafety in Microbiological and Biomedical Laboratories" says to avoid generating aerosols by not using flame when preparing tuberculosis slides.

Never hurts to be extra cautious I suppose!

Just catching up on your tank... I'm still gobsmacked at SEVEN tanks.

Me too, You know you start with one and then find other fish that you like that wont get along, so you start another tank and before you know it, you are at 7. I will say that as we work on reef tanks, the fresh water tanks are becoming boring/neglected.

Just curious what was your salinity before the trip and what did 1/4" of evaporation do to it after your trip?

Just curious what was your salinity before the trip and what did 1/4" of evaporation do to it after your trip?

It was at 1.0255 when we left and is at 1.026 now. Tomorrow is going to be our maint. day, so we will get a better idea of the water parameters. Looks as though we lost our arrow crab. Don't know if the emerald crabs got him or ??

It was at 1.0255 when we left and is at 1.026 now. Tomorrow is going to be our maint. day, so we will get a better idea of the water parameters. Looks as though we lost our arrow crab. Don't know if the emerald crabs got him or ??

Not bad at all considering how hot it's been...would have thought you'd have seen a larger swing.

Well I finished the water tests:
PH - 8.4
Calcium - 420
KH - 125.3
Nitrates - 5
Phosphate .25
Salinity - 1.0245
We started adding iodine as Peter's pulsating zenia (I know nobody likes zenia) was not looking as good as when we left.. Now I guess we need a test kit? Suggestions? We also ran to the LFS and picked up a new Arrow Crab, 2 more Sea Hares, and a couple corals (Peter bought me my first Gorgonian) We also have a couple bottles of the 2 part calcium additive. I don't know if I should start using it when our calcium is already at 420? How do I test for alkalinity? is this the same as PH?

These Sea Hares make amazing cleaners! Had a frag covered in algae, dropped it in the 65g. before vacation and he really cleaned it up nice.
123.png
111.png

Back