Jestersix

Pharma Magnesium Sulfate

ashburn2k

Supporting Member
Is Pharma Magnesium Sulfate same thing as general reef Magnesium?

saw this

and thinking about buying this instead of small mount for mag dosing

It is, it's epsom salt, RHF recipe calls for a mixture of Magnesium sulfate and magnesium chloride, the reasoning being that if you use just mag sulfate your sulfate levels may rise too much. Whether or not this is a problem for everyone who knows, but there is a reason for mixing.... that I'm sure someone with more chemistry knowledge than me can say why (which would be anyone with chemistry knowledge). That said, 35 pounds is a huge amount. and I wouldn't be surprised if this is same Epsom salts you can get a drug store with USP labeling on it, as "pharma" which is much cheaper at a place like Walmart or Target.

What do you mean by "general reef magnesium?"
If you mean is it the same as the brs "general adjustments" mix, no it's not the same. As @sfsuphysics a mix is normally the accepted method.

The thing to consider with these two, there’s more Mg by weight in magnesium chloride than in magnesium sulfate, so you’ll add different amounts of each to add the same amount of Mg to your water. I personally wouldn't mix the dry chemicals together unless I was weighing them out to make dosing solution.

But the stuff you’re linkining to is advertised as anhydrous, meaning the crystals do not have water incorporated into them. Epsom salt (hepta hydrate) is basically half water by weight, so this will be twice as potent as regular epsom salt. Unless you have a good way of storing it, it will draw water out of the air and probably clump up.

Last edited:
The thing to consider with these two, there’s more Mg by weight in magnesium chloride than in magnesium sulfate, so you’ll add different amounts of each to add the same amount of Mg to your water. I personally wouldn't mix the dry chemicals together unless I was weighing them out to make dosing solution.

But the stuff you’re linkining to is advertised as anhydrous, meaning the crystals do not have water incorporated into them. Epsom salt (hepta hydrate) is basically half water by weight, so this will be twice as potent as regular epsom salt. Unless you have a good way of storing it, it will draw water out of the air and probably clump up.
We can always count on our resident chemist. ]'

Back