Votes: 1 11.1%
  • 8-10

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • 10-12

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • >= 12

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I changed my lighting program to be simpler, shorter, and more intense about 2 months ago and I've seen positive results in growth, color, and polyp extension.

I have a 90 gallon tank (24"x24"x36") with three Kessil A350 lights over it. Two are wide lense versions and one is narrow. I have the narrow light in the center positioned over most of my SPS, with the wider lights on the sides providing less intense coverage to the rest of the tank for LPS and zoas on the lower levels.

When I initially setup my tank, I had the narrow light running at 50% from 8am-4pm and the wide lights running at 40% from 12pm-8pm. I wanted to have lighting in the morning to feed the fish and thought the spread of light across the tank would even out.

I recently switched to having all three lights on for a shorter period of time at brighter intensity and after two months now the effects seem positive. Better color on the SPS colonies and a lot more polyp extension.

With higher light intensity, higher flow is also required. I have not changed our flow but we currently have a dual return running about 2000gph and two 1000gph Vortech MP10s on opposite ends of the tank. This seems to compliment the lighting intensity.

What kind of photo period are most of you running? I'm jealous of those of you with controllable main and moon lights with your fancy seasonal cycles.

I have 2 Kessil A-360WE's on a 65 gallon 36" wide tank and have my controlled by my Apex with the season table offset 4 hrs so light start at 9:45-10:15 am and my lights start at Intensity of 13% and ramps up too 100% and spectrum of 0% ramps up too 90% over a 60min time period then runs at 100% Intensity and 90% Spectrum until about 8:45-9:15 pm and my lights start at Intensity of 100% and ramps up too 13% and spectrum of 90% ramps up too 0% over a 60min time period and my light then turn off and my lunar lights sometimes come on depending on the lunar cycle...Also I have stormy and cloudy days happen at random times of the day and week....and my Vortech pump follows according to the storm & cloudy cycles...

40 breeder so its 18 inches deep which is not as deep.

Two kessil 360we

For the longest time and right now i am always concerned about burning my corals with high intensity lights.

I like to keep mostly lps but diving into some sps.

My light schedule is 11:00 to 8:30pm soooo 9.5 hours

Starts at 10% color at 10% intensity. Ramps up to 25% color and 60% intensity at mid light cycle.

I have a RSM250 (the old model). Ditched the hood and put a single Kessel AW350 over it. In addition have one of those tank length Current Marine LEDs (the ones with the pre-programmed lighting schemes). Overall with 10-12 hours it's good for softies and a few LPS. My SPS don't like it that much --- with one exception -- my blue stylos grow like weeds! The montis and acros aren't so happy, just sort of getting by.

I've had that lighting on my system on there for about 12 months now. I'm going to replace with with two Radions and my Kessel (I like the shimmer). I hope that will make my montis and acros happier.

Interesting data there, W. I've been slowly ramping up the lighting intensity on the 20L too based on the tank behavior. However, I've always stuck with the eight hour photo period since the initial time ramp up from tank setup. I've been checking tank status week over week and changing lighting as necessary. I don't think I would ever go more than eight hours, personally.

Back