High Tide Aquatics

Pin wheel impeller broken

Anyone know if I can glue back these pins? Or any suggestions? I found out the pin where broken after two snails went to it. It still work but less efficient. It from the bubble king double cone 180 with red dragon speedy dc pump.

I contact Slief from Royal exclusiv, he said it still work with less pin. He said I can glue back the pin but not sure it will stay put. He also recommended to buy a new rotor/impeller but I cannot justify to spend $205 for it. I never has broken pin with reef Octopus or nyos skimmer pump when snail stuck inside.

Attachments

• F45C127B-9DEC-45B7-BD62-1B53E0FC9BE2.jpeg
    F45C127B-9DEC-45B7-BD62-1B53E0FC9BE2.jpeg
    104.3 KB · Views: 133
  • 134E111A-94D2-4713-8AFA-323D92196D27.jpeg
    134E111A-94D2-4713-8AFA-323D92196D27.jpeg
    104 KB · Views: 120
  • F49BC783-3163-449F-AAD5-7D6F2A252E40.jpeg
    F49BC783-3163-449F-AAD5-7D6F2A252E40.jpeg
    64.1 KB · Views: 119
I’d replace it personally. You spend more than $200 on a single coral. This very important piece of equipment helps keep all of them alive.

I’d replace it personally. You spend more than $200 on a single coral. This very important piece of equipment helps keep all of them alive.
It’s make sense. I am not sure it just me or other reefer have this problem, I can spend good money on corals but very stingy on equipments. Lol

I catch myself trying to think that way too, that’s why I said it. What I have come to realize is that it really doesn’t make sense to skimp on equipment or maintenance due to cost because if you lose one coral then it cost you a lot

If I'm not wrong, that pump is for the Mini 200. That is a $1400 skimmer. You'd rather save $200 and not have your $1400 skimmer perform its best? Even if you bought it used, maintaining your equipment so it performs its best is in the best interest of your tank.

And I'll be blunt, if the $200 is too much, maybe get a less expensive skimmer so the maintenance cost is less.
Its like buying a Mercedes sports car and not wanting to spend $300 per tire.
I get it, $200 is $200, not a small amount and I do think about that when I have to buy stuff like this. But I did spend the money on the equipment in the 1st place and this is the cost of running it.

Last edited:
I would replace it. Small percentage of overall cost.

Having missing pins seems like it might cause a balance problem, and wobble.
That sort of things is hard on bearings and the pump body, which could more issues.

@Vhuang168 this is BK DC180. I see your point, but I expect the pinwheel as strong as the the price it cost. Like I said, I checked with Slief at Royal Exclusiv and he said it still ok to use that why I did not push to buy the replacement. also I still running it at low speed I notice other skimmer the pin has cone shape at the base that make the pin has more contact and stronger while this pin is just straight up that make it weaker. I been trying a lot of different skimmer, I still have a $700 RO Elite 200 just use for 3 months ago sit in garage before this one. But anyway, I know I am cheap with equipments. I just want to balance between corals and equipments.

I doubt if missing a few pins will seriously affect skimmer performance - but we don't have to guess. I suspect that's what your vendor was trying to tell you. Reinstall it and see what happens.

Back