Cali Kid Corals

Planning an upgrade

yngplo

Supporting Member
Hey folks, I’ve been using an IM40 tank for the last 8~ months and I’m looking to upgrade my system so that I can have a sump and have more water volume.

Aside Red Sea or WaterBox, what are good fish tank brands to look into?

I’m trying to get a tank that’s a maximum 80-90 gallons in system volume.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SCA is decent and based in LA. They use starfire glass but ppl recommend opting for their upgraded stand. IM makes larger tanks too though I’ve not seen any negative nor positive buzz about it. CDA is very nice but also very pricey.

I bought a used IM75 INT from a member here and love it. I do wish it was the EXT option but I really like the stand and tank. Well constructed and looks great. You can also easily shorten the APS stand by cutting the aluminum frame pieces, door inserts, and reassembling it.

I second IM. Tank is well made, stand is excellent. However they do not come with a sump, which is a plus imo.

Shallow 3X3 cube

I have the waterbox AIO. Don't have a sump and so far i don't care for one. My only regret is to get a wider tank. My tank is 48x15 (about 5" at the back is taken by the rear filtration chamber).

I would love a 20-24" wide tank.

The Aqua Japan tanks are pretty decent tanks, low iron front panel. Comes complete with glass sump, and stand for a fraction of the price of other brands.

Was my first move to a larger than nano format. I like it overall.

A couple things to note... most minor but just need to know in case it matters to you:

1) the edges one top isn't smooth polished. Not really noticeable unless you're looking at everything thing often and details matter
2) cabinet is easy to build and decent. But is made of MDF... it's lacquer coated so fairly waterproof but soft if you make a mistake with screws...as all MDF tends to be
3) there are only 2 bulkhead holes in overflownin case you wanted to install a herbie as i didm. I put the return over the top to make up for using the return hole for emergency overflow

Another user has the same tank as well and a great write up

The Aqua Japan tanks are pretty decent tanks, low iron front panel. Comes complete with glass sump, and stand for a fraction of the price of other brands.

Was my first move to a larger than nano format. I like it overall.

A couple things to note... most minor but just need to know in case it matters to you:

1) the edges one top isn't smooth polished. Not really noticeable unless you're looking at everything thing often and details matter
2) cabinet is easy to build and decent. But is made of MDF... it's lacquer coated so fairly waterproof but soft if you make a mistake with screws...as all MDF tends to be
3) there are only 2 bulkhead holes in overflownin case you wanted to install a herbie as i didm. I put the return over the top to make up for using the return hole for emergency overflow

Another user has the same tank as well and a great write up

Do you know where to pick one up in the bay area? I'm interested in getting a larger tank and jumping into one of my first large tank builds.

I saw some guy selling them on craigslist, but if I'm buying a new tank to go in my house I'd like to start with something fresh out of the box lol

Do you know where to pick one up in the bay area? I'm interested in getting a larger tank and jumping into one of my first large tank builds.

I saw some guy selling them on craigslist, but if I'm buying a new tank to go in my house I'd like to start with something fresh out of the box lol
Lol. As Jonathan mentioned, the craigslist ad is by Aqua Labs Aquaria. They do have a secondary listing there for flawed tanks...show models. But the rests are new.

Ken there is a good guy... he'll take care of you.

That said, be sure to inspect the tank at pick up or delivery. Sometimes the transport from the factory/ warehouse in LA can be a bit rough...

I think Neptune Aquatics has Aqua Japan tanks as well. The Ultum tanks are nice too if you want the clean rimless look. But like the Aqua Japan tanks, they do not come drilled for overflows.

No. Plumbing doesn't come with the tank

Where’s the best place to look for plumbing advice in the forum? I like the aqua Japan tanks because I’ve seen one in person before, and I don’t know if I’m trying to put 2k down on a XL 300 yet lol

Back