Reef nutrition

Preferred skimmer for large tank?

IOnceWasLegend

Frag Swap Coordinator
BOD
I'll probably be upgrading my skimmer in the next 6-8 months. I'm looking into them, but curious for first-hand experiences, so - anybody willing to point out a protein skimmer they like that can handle a heavy bioload in a 200+ gallon system?

Thanks!

I'll probably be upgrading my skimmer in the next 6-8 months. I'm looking into them, but curious for first-hand experiences, so - anybody willing to point out a protein skimmer they like that can handle a heavy bioload in a 200+ gallon system?

Thanks!
They are almost twice the price from “comparable” skimmers, but they blow those skimmers out the fucking water! Literally

I just upgraded my skimmer to the reef octo elite 220INT. It’s super quiet, skims right away and is easy to tune. Huge skimmer cup with a big drain hose. Was not cheap but I like it quite a bit!

The float valve shutoff is a nice touch, too.

I have a ton of varios pumps and really like the controllers, and they’ve all been bullet proof and quiet.

I vote the reef octo as well. For 200+ I would go with any of the units with the VarioS 6 pump. Personally I would go with one of the units that is in sump but the pump is outside the body, like the elite 220 int, or Regal 300 int. Way easier to clean the pump if you have the sump space. Get the neck cleaner too.

I'm a big fan of Lifereef skimmers (https://www.lifereef.com/venturi.html) - website is a disaster; but skimmer performs awesome. I've previously coming from Octo > ATB > Lifereef. Before that Tunze, EuroReef and others i can't remember. (once i find a good one i tend to ride it out for a long time) unlike pumps and lights which i switch more frequently.

I just upgraded my skimmer to the reef octo elite 220INT. It’s super quiet, skims right away and is easy to tune. Huge skimmer cup with a big drain hose. Was not cheap but I like it quite a bit!

The float valve shutoff is a nice touch, too.

I have a ton of varios pumps and really like the controllers, and they’ve all been bullet proof and quiet.

Agreed. I have the 200 int elite model and I cannot imagine that it will get much better, super quiet, super strong, high quality.

I have a reef octo elite for sale and will head north on 12/28 to drop off to you Josh

I appreciate it; unfortunately I'll have to hold off since it's out of the budget right now and a "nice to have" rather than a "need to have".

Any modern day name brand skimmer will be fine. I’ve run my atb skimmer for 15 years. On my 3rd pump. I was gonna get a new big one a few years ago. People were saying that the only difference is a few features and the dc controls.
I like to over skim tho. I heard a skimmer only gets 30% of the gunk out.

Hi !
Been sober here for a while but here’s an input.
If price is not the issue, RE.
Pointing this because if/when the pump goes out, you could end up with a nice piece of architectural acrylic paper weight where RO pumps seem to be on the wallet friendlier side.

Back