High Tide Aquatics

Question on Vortech power backup

Joseph Lee

Supporting Member
Before purchasing a Vortech power backup battery for my aquarium prior to a 2-week trip, I have a question about its effectiveness in oxygenating the tank.
If the MP10 pump is submerged 2 to 3 inches below the water level, would the single MP10 (on the battery backup) provide sufficient oxygenation (considering there won't be much water surface agitation)? Also, I read that the power level will be only 20% while using the battery.

Last edited:
Thanks. My tank is still running with a canister filter so the level won't be dropped.
I guess I can raise the mp10 as high as possible just before sucking too much air right before the vacation.

I just got an Ecoflow Delta with 1260Wh. It is not not a true UPS but will switch over to battery power within 30ms.
Testing out my Sicce SDC pump running at 70W. The battery should last about 13-14 hours which is plenty for me to get really backup power online. Especially when we are away on vacation and our emergency care takers might not readily available.

Attachments

• 20230329_193506.jpg
    20230329_193506.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 63
  • 20230329_192815.jpg
    20230329_192815.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 66
I just got an Ecoflow Delta with 1260Wh. It is not not a true UPS but will switch over to battery power within 30ms.
Testing out my Sicce SDC pump running at 70W. The battery should last about 13-14 hours which is plenty for me to get really backup power online. Especially when we are away on vacation and our emergency care takers might not readily available.
How much did that run you?

Before purchasing a Vortech power backup battery for my aquarium prior to a 2-week trip, I have a question about its effectiveness in oxygenating the tank.
If the MP10 pump is submerged 2 to 3 inches below the water level, would the single MP10 (on the battery backup) provide sufficient oxygenation (considering there won't be much water surface agitation)? Also, I read that the power level will be only 20% while using the battery.
The only downside is that the batteries die after a few years, but you can drill them out and replace (I still need to do it for mine when I have time).

How much did that run you?
I paid $465. Which I think a great deal compared to EcoTech Backup Battery for around $200 and only rated at 18 Amp-hour at 12V (equivalent to 216Wh).
It might not be the best solution for everyone but it works for since I don't have any EcoTech and want to have hours of backup for the return pump.

I paid $465. Which I think a great deal compared to EcoTech Backup Battery for around $200 and only rated at 18 Amp-hour at 12V (equivalent to 216Wh).
It might not be the best solution for everyone but it works for since I don't have any EcoTech and want to have hours of backup for the return pump.
So, will it turn on and provide electricity to the pump automatically while I am away? And for charging it, do you always leave it plugged in all the time?

So, will it turn on and provide electricity to the pump automatically while I am away? And for charging it, do you always leave it plugged in all the time?
Yes, it is automatically switch to Battery power when the power is out. I tested with my Sicce Pump and the pump runs like there was no changes. When the power comes back, it will automatically switch back to grid power and recharge the battery. It is recharge very as well from zero to 100% within less than 2 hours.
You don't need to leave it plugged in all the time. I only use it when we are away on vacation or when the weather forecasts are bad and there might be chance of power outages when I am at work. Other than that, they recommend keeping charge it to 80% and recharge every 3 months (typical recommendation for Lithium Ion Battery).
This have been a great relief for me when we are away for 1-2 weeks vacation!

Yes, it is automatically switch to Battery power when the power is out. I tested with my Sicce Pump and the pump runs like there was no changes. When the power comes back, it will automatically switch back to grid power and recharge the battery. It is recharge very as well from zero to 100% within less than 2 hours.
You don't need to leave it plugged in all the time. I only use it when we are away on vacation or when the weather forecasts are bad and there might be chance of power outages when I am at work. Other than that, they recommend keeping charge it to 80% and recharge every 3 months (typical recommendation for Lithium Ion Battery).
This have been a great relief for me when we are away for 1-2 weeks vacation!
That sounds really good. Mp10 uses 8 to 18w, so the battery will last much longer, maybe like 40 plus hours.

Mind sharing where you found it for that price?

That sounds really good. Mp10 uses 8 to 18w, so the battery will last much longer, maybe like 40 plus hours.
It should last much longer than that even when you maxed out at 18W. Maybe you don't need the big one? Get something smaller.
Mind sharing where you found it for that price?
I got it directly from Ecoflow Ebay Store. They had a special sale and now out of stock. Just keep an eye out and I am sure they will have the sale again.

Do you know what the downside would be when you use it continuously (plugged into an outlet 24/7)?
I am looking into getting a smaller version with around 700wb. :)

Last edited:
The only disadvantage is that it cannot (?) be used continuously (while plugged into an outlet), so it is better suited for people who travel frequently.
I am looking into getting a smaller version with around 700wb. :)
I am not sure what you meant by "be used continuously"?
The Ecoflow Power Bank can be plugged in 24/7. It has by pass circuit so anything you plugged in will draw power directly from the outlet (and only switch to battery when the power is cut off). The reason I don't have it plugs in all the times because it is a bit bulky and the battery might not last as long if stay at 100% state of charge all the time.
Another huge advantage is that it charges super fast (1-2 hours to get back to 1260Wh from Zero). Not sure how fast the EcoTech backup will recharge but I am thinking it is super slow since it has trickle charger and Lead Acid battery.

I am not sure what you meant by "be used continuously"?
The Ecoflow Power Bank can be plugged in 24/7. It has by pass circuit so anything you plugged in will draw power directly from the outlet (and only switch to battery when the power is cut off). The reason I don't have it plugs in all the times because it is a bit bulky and the battery might not last as long if stay at 100% state of charge all the time.
Another huge advantage is that it charges super fast (1-2 hours to get back to 1260Wh from Zero). Not sure how fast the EcoTech backup will recharge but I am thinking it is super slow since it has trickle charger and Lead Acid battery.
Got it. Thank you for the clarification.

Back