High Tide Aquatics

Ranco Heating (and Cooling) Controller

Alexander1312

Supporting Member
Does anyone know where to buy the Ranco controller and which model is recommended?

A year ago, I bought the following model, pre-wired, dual stage, for my nano tank, and I will now need another since I decided to keep the nano. However, it seems as if the Aqua Logic website is down, not sure if they are out of business?

Buying from Ranco directly is challenging, as the model name does not match and I would like to buy the same I already have.

IMG_1334.jpeg
IMG_1333.jpeg

I got mine directly from aqualogic, although their website seems to be down at the moment.

Edit - sorry, I missed that you already mentioned this in your OP. Hope it’s just temporary, these things are tanks!

Last edited:
Champion lighting carries the single stage if you don't need the chiller function:

Todd is a good guy too and sponsors Reef Beef.

Thank you! I did not check them - checked saltwateraquarium and BRS and they did not have it. I assume this is pre-wired, it does not seem to sayt? They are selling them quite a bit higher than Aqua Logic though.

Don't see why it wouldn't be.

I understand that they are originally not wired by Ranco (only the probe), and Aqua Logic will sell them pre-wired. But since this Aqua Logic, they are probably wired. Also, they have the dual stage, but selling them for 322 vs 269. I will give it a few more days for their website to come back.

Ranco’s work fine but so do others that are actually customer-friendly and ready to use, like Inkbird

Imo. Ranco is old tech and expensive. Don’t get me wrong. They are a solid piece of equipment. If you’re going to spend 280. You might want to look into a used apex 2016. Seems like your heading in that direction in a year or less.

Imo. Ranco is old tech and expensive. Don’t get me wrong. They are a solid piece of equipment. If you’re going to spend 280. You might want to look into a used apex 2016. Seems like your heading in that direction in a year or less.

I would still use a ranco with an Apex (maybe all the more reason…). I use mine with a Hydros.

You aren’t paying for the temp controller, you’re paying for the world class reliability of the switch.

I just bought a ranco myself actually, off amazon. However it didn't come wired. $90.22: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004LHX5IC Mine arrived earlier this week. I put a layer of silicone on the probe, and plan to install it today.

The Aqualogic setup seems nice, but really expensive. I'm not clear why the need for the titanium probe on the Aqualogic rebranding, versus doing a plastic and/or silicone covering. It's nice the Aqualogic version is fully waterproofed, but that being the only thing in an aquarium control setup that's waterproofed doesn't seem super valuable.

I have a variety of cords and such at my house, so I should be able to wire it up quickly. I can take some pics on the process if others think it'd be helpful.

Begin Inkbird Rant
I am abs-fucking-lutely over my Inkbird. I have had nothing but trouble with mine. Does not keep calibration. App sucks and if you don't click a back arrow it doesn't store your settings (eg if you swipe back). Constantly seems to get stuck, possibly related to when you lose wifi signal (so absurd). It might be the non-wifi ones are reliable or so, but this wifi one I bought awhile back is trash. So angry.

Today the Inkbird almost nuked my tank. We lost power for a bit, preceded by the power flickering on and off a couple times. I connected the tank to backup power (plugged it into my EV) and left home for an anniversary dinner.

I came home and was confused why my reef-pi controlled fan was running. Eventually I look into it, and see my tank temp has been climbing ever since the power outage. I flip off the smart outlet the inkbird is connected to, until I can look into it.

I finally looked into it just now, and the Inkbird completely reset itself into a crazy state. The alarms were reset to go off at something like 150°F and -40°F. The calibration settings were all gone. It's now 5°C off in calibration, thinking a 79.5*F tank is 70°F. It was on the path to roast my tank.

I'm going to wire up this Ranco tomorrow morning and the Inkbird I'm going to run over with my car.

I just bought a ranco myself actually, off amazon. However it didn't come wired. $90.22: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004LHX5IC Mine arrived earlier this week. I put a layer of silicone on the probe, and plan to install it today.

The Aqualogic setup seems nice, but really expensive. I'm not clear why the need for the titanium probe on the Aqualogic rebranding, versus doing a plastic and/or silicone covering. It's nice the Aqualogic version is fully waterproofed, but that being the only thing in an aquarium control setup that's waterproofed doesn't seem super valuable.

I have a variety of cords and such at my house, so I should be able to wire it up quickly. I can take some pics on the process if others think it'd be helpful.

Begin Inkbird Rant
I am abs-fucking-lutely over my Inkbird. I have had nothing but trouble with mine. Does not keep calibration. App sucks and if you don't click a back arrow it doesn't store your settings (eg if you swipe back). Constantly seems to get stuck, possibly related to when you lose wifi signal (so absurd). It might be the non-wifi ones are reliable or so, but this wifi one I bought awhile back is trash. So angry.

Today the Inkbird almost nuked my tank. We lost power for a bit, preceded by the power flickering on and off a couple times. I connected the tank to backup power (plugged it into my EV) and left home for an anniversary dinner.

I came home and was confused why my reef-pi controlled fan was running. Eventually I look into it, and see my tank temp has been climbing ever since the power outage. I flip off the smart outlet the inkbird is connected to, until I can look into it.

I finally looked into it just now, and the Inkbird completely reset itself into a crazy state. The alarms were reset to go off at something like 150°F and -40°F. The calibration settings were all gone. It's now 5°C off in calibration, thinking a 79.5*F tank is 70°F. It was on the path to roast my tank.

I'm going to wire up this Ranco tomorrow morning and the Inkbird I'm going to run over with my car.

I always love your posts, btw.

And yeah this is why you’ll have to pry my Ranco from my cold dead hands. In my short 2 years in the hobby so far I’ve had two failed switches (a hydros outlet and a hyger), two failed elements (both BRS titanium), and a failed probe/controller (aquatop).

The Aqualogic is spendy (or when buying a plain Ranco - reasonably priced but requiring additional time/expertise) but there are simply no other reliable options for something as critical to the hobby as heat.

Begin Inkbird Rant

Lol. I have 7 InkBird controllers in continuous use for several years, with a couple others I use temporarily, with zero problems. But none are the crappy wifi versions.

Supplyhouse.com is the place to go to buy Ranco (pre-wired).

I do have an APEX, but only the Jr for temp, pH, and leak. I was not planning to buy the outlets, as these seem to be rather unreliable old tech from what I read.

I thought the heater controller was one of the most important tech items we have, with reliability being the priority. I have not read anywhere any complaint about the rancos reliability, but lots of stuff about inkbirds. But seems like this was limited to the WIFI version, which I also have for my Pico tank, and it works fine.

But why would I not buy the most reliable heater controller on the market, as overheating is one of the top two risks to wipe out the tank, this and getting velvet. Maybe I am missing something?

I do have an APEX, but only the Jr for temp, pH, and leak. I was not planning to buy the outlets, as these seem to be rather unreliable old tech from what I read.

I thought the heater controller was one of the most important tech items we have, with reliability being the priority. I have not read anywhere any complaint about the rancos reliability, but lots of stuff about inkbirds. But seems like this was limited to the WIFI version, which I also have for my Pico tank, and it works fine.

But why would I not buy the most reliable heater controller on the market, as overheating is one of the top two risks to wipe out the tank, this and getting velvet. Maybe I am missing something?
I thought the ranco was 280 dollars. Not 90 dollars. If it 90. That’s a good price for an entry level controller. Everyone ran one in the early 2000 as they are extremely good. Dunno about now as I haven’t ran one in 15 years. I was just saying that your new aquarium is state of the art and a controller was in the near future. Probably with automation and auto testing in your future as you progress in this hobby.
If you do get the ranco. From what I remember Get the 2 plug. It will controller the heater and a fan.

Lol. I have 7 InkBird controllers in continuous use for several years, with a couple others I use temporarily, with zero problems. But none are the crappy wifi versions.
The Wi-Fi units are so sketchy after a power outage, but if course BRS pushed them so hard in their commercials or bundle them. The number of 1 star reviews there is crazy!

The Apex outlets are not unreliable, they are more reliable than anything else you are considering in my opinion. They can fail like anything can. But of course lots of reefers and especially entry level people have them so there is guaranteed to be lots of public complaining. Same issue for InkBird.

Rancos on the other hand are a super-niche product that are really pretty uncommonly used in our hobby and mostly by more advanced (or at least older) reefers. The kind of people who tend not to complain as much publicly when things don’t work.

I think your view of what is reliable or not is very heavily skewed by this complaint availability bias.

You definitely should take heating control seriously. The way you do that is with redundancy. I have my Apex with the EB832 power bar controlling temp, with non-wifi InkBird in-line to a solid-state titanium heater. The Apex is the controller and the InkBird is the failsafe in this setup. And I have 2 smaller heaters each set to slightly different on/off temps so that one is on most of the time and the other is almost always off, so relatively little switching happening. Plus if either is stuck-on it doesn’t cook the tank because they are relatively small for tank size.

If you are going to get a Ranco go for it, but it should be one of these controllers not both. If your heater has an integrated temperature controller, that can be your failsafe (set to a higher temp), but those are basically always not as reliable as any of the other options we’ve been discussing. Nevertheless, this is what I’m doing with 5 smaller tanks (related to the Berghia project) where I have an InkBird as the controller and the integrated temperature controller on the heater as the failsafe. Haven’t had any serious failures.

Begin Inkbird Rant

Inkbird…..BOOOO

Back