Our mission

Recommendation: Run a security camera for your reef. $30-70 to monitor it from anywhere

Hi all, I set my friend up with a Reolink E1 Zoom (not sponsored, I just like cheap decent quality hardware) pan, tilt, and zoom indoor security camera. It's honestly really fun zooming in and following the fish around for both of us. I can teach him the basics remotely and he gets security and peace of mind.

Here's a screenshot at full zoom during only blue sunset mode:
AF481724-C0BD-44F0-8FC8-1324FE0385AC.png

Digital zoom:
4AEDCD30-56FE-48D3-9482-4FADF8F805E8.png

I'd highly recommend getting a security camera for your reef! The price is trivial compared to most gear and it's super relaxing when you're away from home.

I use simple wyze with streaming and used electrical tape to attach orange filter to correct blue light. Agree everyone should have at least one camera to check on your tank (and sump)

I position my Arlo to the tank when on vacation. Want to keep an eye on the return flow, powerhead, and water level. I heard horror stories shit obly happen when youre away. Broken return pump, broken ato, something stuck in powerheads.

Good idea on the orange filter.

Last edited:
I have a Ring camera pointed at my tank but the positioning isn’t great because there’s nothing to put a camera on in front of the tank, and the tank light messes up the image even when it isn’t super blue. It covers the sump area too so it’s good enough in a pinch when I‘m not home. Adding a filter is a good idea. A nice pan/zoom camera would be better but I was trying to stay in the same system. Too many 1-off devices already.

I've always wanted to toss in an underwater webcam with a lense filter..There is a guy on R2R who makes magnetic/suction cup mounts for certain exterior webcams so you can mount anywhere on tank on the glass. He has lense filters as well.

@under_water_ninja
Wondering if your the same ninja on R2R who inquired about ordering the webcam mounts? If so how do you like it?
Thanks
Paul
Haha! Oh ya you found me lol! Loved that camera mount. Only thing for me was with the orange filter lens inside of it, I could barely fit the filter through the opening so the front bowed out a bit and had to have the screws on really tight to keep it in place but put a lot of stress on the plastic and it cracked on me about 2 months ago, so I can’t use it anymore. Other then that the actual view from the camera is nice just need a long tank. Did not work on my 40gl cube but worked great on my 5 foot long reef

Back