Kessil

Recommendation to remove Aluminum without water changes

Alexander1312

Supporting Member
My latest Fauna Marin ICP continues to show higher Aluminum, the only real issue which is nice. Does anyone have any recommendation how to reduce this without water changes? Is a Polyfilter effective in doing this? I have used one but it did not change color for a week (other than brown :)).

The trend is going down (hopefully accurate), and I believe this originated from the rock glue I have used for the Aquascape. So I do not believe more is leaking into the tank.

IMG_1453.jpeg

GFO, MetaSorb, PolyFil are all stated to remove aluminum. Even CupriSorb will remove some amount of aluminum.

How effective they are and how much will be actually be removed is not a known factor. Don’t think anyone has actually done a study.

Last edited:
I am literally looking into this same thing right now. I definitely think it's my Marine Pure. I'm going to slowly remove them and combine that with water changes to try and bring it back down.

Do you have Marine Pure blocks in your tank?

No, I have not used them in this tank (my nano had them though). My son used a ton of this glue when we built our aquascape, which is why I suspected this to be the reason. The stand is aluminum but not sure how much this is relevant.

IMG_1456.jpeg
IMG_1457.jpeg

I’ve not heard of cyanoacrylate glue being a source of aluminum, and I can’t think of a mechanism for that.

It’s 20 years old, but this write up by RHF is still the definitive discussion of aluminum in our tanks as far as I know:

I’ve not heard of cyanoacrylate glue being a source of aluminum, and I can’t think of a mechanism for that.

It’s 20 years old, but this write up by RHF is still the definitive discussion of aluminum in our tanks as far as I know:
Thanks John. In this case, I do not know what else the source of alumunium could be, but will read this article. Thanks again. Oh, and I was only thinking of some level of ‘contamination’ of this product, vs. its actual content, and since we used a lot of this for the aquascape (two of these in total).

Back