Our mission

Recommended snorkeling or dive school in Oahu, Hawaii

Anyone been to Oahu can recommended a good bay for snorkeling? I thought about getting my dive cert while i was down there too, anyone here get certified down there? any recomendations? thanks

-Ryan

The only place I know of is Hanamana Bay (sp). Was good years and years ago, but I've heard most of the corals have been poisoned by suntan lotion. The fish are still there, I think.

Hanauma Bay used to be a good spot. Not sure how it is now. When are you going? Normally the winter times isn't the best time for snorkling. The waves get really really big.

I think the weather in HW is kinda like Vietnam. We have only two seasons in VN. It's rain season and dry season. ;D

Sorry for the highjack Whisk :D ..

Winter is the rainy season. It does get colder as well however. High 60s low 70s at night. Mid 70s to low 80s during the day. Extremes are low 60s to mid 80s.

Np. Temp has been low 70's and they just had a rainstorm last week. I will be leaving Sunday for 8 days. I heard great conditions for surfing but i wont be doing that. Guess i'll see when i get down there, hopefully some calmer conditions, we'll see.

Hmm, I was just there (Oahu) earlier this year. Hanauma is great I guess for the fish and just being in the water in general. Not much in the way of corals there though. Your best bet if you go is to go earlier in the morning (beats the crowd, but not sure if there will be one in winter) and go to the far left/right of the bay. It's usually less crowded and in general fewer people go there. I managed to see some nice large heads of coral there. Keep your eyes out, I saw an octopus there too.

The best spots I saw were Three Tables and Shark's cove, but they're on the North Shore, so I dunno how the surf will be there. Three tables was more protected than Sharks, but the surge might still be a little intimidating if it's good wave action.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=three+tables,+oahu,+hi&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=50.69072,114.257812&ie=UTF8&ll=21.647377,-158.054488&spn=0.014659,0.027895&t=h&z=16

google map to: three tables, oahu, hi About 1500ft north of the marker is Shark's Cove where there's the large inlet.

I just looked at some reports it looks like the waves won't get bigger till Wednesday of next week. However, the reports also noted bad water quality. Diving report states "TRYING TO IMPROVE, BUT STILL OVERALL POOR...WATERS STILL POLLUTED ...DIRTY WATERS".

I'd recommend getting your PADI cert before you actually go out there if you want to dive. If you dont it will eat into your free time cus you have to study.

Like others have said hanauma bay is a pretty cool spot to snorkel at. It has been 5 yrs since I lived out there so I cant be sure its still good.

Hey guys, just got back from Oahu yesterday. Thanks for all your tips and suggestions. I didnt end up getting my PADI cert there, I agree with you Vento that it would just take up vacation time.

I did hit up east Waikiki beach where it was less crowded and a good place to practice beginning snorkeling. Some fish and some corals, but not much. Lots of fun though and the only spot where I saw a Moorish Idol.

I ended up going to Hanauma bay twice and it was a much better location. I ended up going on the very far left side where the water was deeper and less crowded and saw lots of fish and some corals. The water was a little rougher but not bad. Great spot, tons of fun here and got to see a turtle, while only brief, was very cool to see. I was surprised how fast he moved in the water, honu dont appear that was on TV. ;D

I did travel up to North Shore but forget it. The waves were crazy and parking was impossible to find with all the surfers up there. Oh well. Once I get the pictures developed I'll share them.

Thanks to all those who replied, they were great recommendations!

Glad you had fun I lived in Hawaii for like 4 yrs when I was in the Navy. Im still kicking myself for not getting my cert while I was out there. I guess I back then I was more concerned with chasing girls and getting drunk. There are some good spots though up on the north shore just a little tougher to find. During the winter is when the huge waves come crashing into the NS. hell its famous for a reason. Anyways glad you had a good trip. I plan on going myself in May.

Back