High Tide Aquatics

Red Cyano in Nano - help?

So I've noticed a few patches of Red Cyano growing on the sandbed towards the front of my 12 gallon nano. I've never had this before, and am guessing it is from low flow? The tank is one of those Nano-Cube DX package deals.

So my question is, how do I get rid of it?

Siphon it out, water changes, feed less, clean filters, reduce lighting, increase flow? Pending on what you have in there can turn off the lights completely for a few days.. Same as any other cyano situation :)

The lights are at least a year old. So that might be a big part of the problem? I don't feed that much, just NFS pellets once a day to one mandarin goby.

Might add some LR too...

I had Cyano problem in my 100 gal. I used Chemiclean Red Slme Remover, just follow the instructions on the back. I did what the box said and the Cyano was all gome in about 2-3 days, just make sure to remove any carbon, gfo, etc. and turn off skimmer and UV filter. Then after you have completed the 48 hour period do a water change and your done :) It was really easy to do and I never had any more problems!

PS: If you do have a skimmer, when you turn it back on its going to go crazy for a couple of days so keep an eye on it.

Also I have Chemiclean left if you want some for your treatment, its $20 if you buy it @ LFS. You should need a very tiny amount for 12gallons. Just PM if you want it. Goodluck

iCon said:
Siphon it out, water changes, feed less, clean filters, reduce lighting, increase flow? Pending on what you have in there can turn off the lights completely for a few days.. Same as any other cyano situation :)

+1 especially turning out the lights for 3 days.

Back