Jestersix

Red Sea Reefer 450 Build

watched his video on siporax and seems great.. but does anyone carry it in the US? Seems like the ATO is kinda small dont it? I mean im just learning about this all but seems like you would want a bigger area?

Yeah it is kinda small (I'm still researching for my eventual build, hence the many questions). But the stock sump is fairly limited and it seems like an ok work around. 5 gallons dedicated to chaeto is still a decent quantity?

This way we can keep the bigger area of the sump clean looking and easy to maintain the skimmer.

Yeah it is kinda small (I'm still researching for my eventual build, hence the many questions). But the stock sump is fairly limited and it seems like an ok work around. 5 gallons dedicated to chaeto is still a decent quantity?

This way we can keep the bigger area of the sump clean looking and easy to maintain the skimmer.

beats me on the size.. maybe someone else can chime in?

yea i do like the removable side of things for sure. Being able to clean the sump out or remove it seems like something you would want.. but what do i know im learning as i go along... hahahahah

Very nice set up. I bought a fed sea reefer 525xl in April. Come to my event and organize my electrical and sump. For water movement I'm using a 150 gyre and a jabeo. Once you get it cycled and stocked I think you'll really enjoy it.
Dick F

Well cycle is complete and live stocking has begun! Also did a 55 gallon water change.. pretty easy and took about 20 mins or so to complete. Preparation sure made it go smooth!

What has everyone found to be most beneficial additives when dosing to a fish/reef tank?

Very nice set up. I bought a fed sea reefer 525xl in April. Come to my event and organize my electrical and sump. For water movement I'm using a 150 gyre and a jabeo. Once you get it cycled and stocked I think you'll really enjoy it.
Dick F
sounds good.. if i can help i would be happy too.

Here is both lights running the same program as of 10 mins ago

20160722_065519_zpsitll486s.jpg

That is a known issue. Have you updated the firmware?

If that is at low intensities, that will continue to happen until they do another firmware update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is a known issue. Have you updated the firmware?

If that is at low intensities, that will continue to happen until they do another firmware update.

yea i updated to the latest firmware when i got them. for the price you would think they would want to address it sooner then later. Guess you can look at the positives as any fish who are hung over can go to the darker side of the tank :)

I would email or call them to see if they have a solution for you. Customer support from Kessil is too notch!

Well cycle is complete and live stocking has begun! Also did a 55 gallon water change.. pretty easy and took about 20 mins or so to complete. Preparation sure made it go smooth!

What has everyone found to be most beneficial additives when dosing to a fish/reef tank?

What kind of additives are you referring to?

The Apex dos has two channels so if you're gonna dose anything, it'll be the big three - calcium, alk, and magnesium. Magnesium can be dose manually on either a daily or weekly basis.

Before dosing anything make sure you measure with reliable test kits and test to verify what your tank needs are and go slowly at first.

Nice build. Looking forward to seeing the progress. Are you going to do LPS, or SPS, or both?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice build.
That rock work looks great!!!! Fish will love the big caves.

Dosing Mg will depend on what you stock and your water change plans.
(I just add a bit extra to the fresh salt water)

I have dabbled dosing a few supplements.
Acropower seems to help, but bumps nitrates.
Various others did not seem to make much difference.
Opinions vary. Very hard to tell something useful from snake oil.

I tend to be against dosing trace elements and other minerals. You cannot test those,
and they do not all degrade, so you can end up with high levels.

You may do carbon dosing. Vodka/Vinegar.
What are your plans for Nitrates anyway?

My suggestion is to wait. Let your tank cycle and run. Keep testing at regular intervals and get a feel for what your tank needs. My tank will be different from yours as far as consumption. And depending on what you are going to stock, those needs may change as well.

To start, you can use the DOS to do AWC.

Back