got ethical husbandry?

Reef Beef!!!

Here's my beef with the hobby.

Greed.
Screenshot_20220305-064808_Chrome.jpg

When I first started, I met a lot of people in the Sacramento region. The second AND third guy both talked about the "reefers code". It is very similar to BAR's DBTC. If I trimmed a coral in my tank and your tank is capable of supporting it, it's in everyones best interest to share that frag with you. You can't sell that frag, it can be traded or given away. If something happens to my tank or my colony, the community that has spread this coral will help me get a piece of it back.

There was a guy in Stanford that I was working with for a while. He was importing sps and LPS colonies. I set up a tank just for QT and acclimation. After a few months I would frag the pieces and just spread them out to local clubs. I called them Random Acts of Kindness.

With the exception of BAR and a handful of local reefers, our hobby is missing this sense of community.

Rich talked about this and it really hit home.

I'm not a fan of the Instagram version of this hobby.

Last edited:
I've watched a few episodes here and there but I recently started listening to the podcasts from the beginning while commuting to work.

You guys crack me up.

I have also started listening in to the podcasts since it was introduced during your talk @Thales! Only a couple in but they are great and hysterical-unfortunately I can’t listen when my kid is around otherwise I’ll be broke from all the swearing!!

But even from your talk a few weeks back on algae pest management-I have taken heed-couple of urchins and pitho crabs -boom -bubble algae disappearing!

Gotta lot of catching up to do!

Back