Reef Hobbyist 40B

Discussion in 'Tank Journals' started by Nav, May 12, 2014.

1. Nav

Nav Director of Marketing & Photography

Time for some super-macro shots :)

x09.jpg x08.jpg x07.jpg x06.jpg x05.jpg x04.jpg x03.jpg x02.jpg x01.jpg

Geneva, wpeterson and Vhuang168 like this.
  2. jonmos75

jonmos75 Supporting Member

And this is why you are BAR's BOD photographer.....:cool:

Geneva and Nav like this.
  3. wpeterson

wpeterson Webmaster

These are really nice. What lens did you use for these?

I picked up a used Canon 100M macro after being impressed by @Vhuang168 's, but this one seemed defective when it arrived. Saving up for a new one.

4. Nav

Thx. I guess you wouldn't have seen your GSP this close :)

Thx. Sigma 105mm f/2.8 Macro on my Nikon D80 + Brown lens filter.

5. Flagg37

Flagg37 Colorado member

I was thinking you'd be better off with a higher focal length macro lense. They're pricey though.

6. Vhuang168

Vhuang168 Supporting Member

What was wrong with it?

7. Vhuang168

The only other higher focal length is a 180mm and its f3.5L. Its definitely pricey. Iirc, @wpeterson 's camera is not full frame so he should have a 1.3 or 1.5 multiplier which makes the 100mm effectively a 130mm or 150mm. But those 2 lens only get you to 1:1.

@Nav
    how much cropping did you have to do?

I'm shopping for a focusing rail + either extension tubes or a bellows. Either that or spring for the MP-E 65mm which will get me to 5X! The dof must be smaller than a 1mm @ f2.8 and full 5X mag.

8. Nav

These pics are 1:1 and not cropped, just framed that way. My lens' max is 1:1

Would love to see 5:1 pics on the 65mm :)

9. Vhuang168

LOL, just read that the MP-E @ 5X at f2.8 has a DOF of 0.048mm at a working distance of 41mm.

@ Nav
    Nice! Remind me which camera body are you using again? APS-C chip?

Nav likes this.
  10. Nav

It's very old! Nikon D80 CCD.

11. Vhuang168

Ah, that explains it. Its DX format so you have a 1.5X multiplier. Effective focal length is 150mm.

Very nice!

Nav likes this.
  12. Flagg37

Flagg37 Colorado member

I was referring to his 24mm macro lense. The 100mm is a great size.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  13. wpeterson

wpeterson Webmaster

I bought a used Canon EF 100mm f2.8 Macro, but the focusing motors didn't seem to work properly and it seemed wonky. @Vhuang168 has the same lense and his worked beautifully on my camera body at the workshop. I returned the used one.

I'm also considering a new EFS 60mm macro lens.

Nav likes this.
  14. aqua-nut

aqua-nut Supporting Member

The problem with shorter lenses (60mm vs. 100mm) is the max focus distance is shorter. This means you can't focus at 1:1 very far from the aquarium glass. Your subject needs to be close to the aquarium glass.

15. Nav

Came home today to see my McCoskers Flasher Wrasse dried up in the center of my screen top! I have almost every bit of it closed and literally there's like 1/2" gap where the return line pipe sits and this guy made it out from there to the center top of the screen taking a sun/led bath!! :(

Time to look at my next addition... I'm very skeptical since I don't QT and afraid I'll bring some disease in!

16. Enderturtle

Enderturtle Volunteer

Through a tiny hole! That sucks!

I usually put my fish through 2 weeks of tank transfers and 1 week of prazi pro. Not very intense compared to some people but it's good enough for me. I just feed them different foods to hopefully give them a good health. Also stare at the fish for quite some time at the Fish Store before buying.

17. Vhuang168

You can do tank transfers that will take care of ich. That takes 12 days. You can dose parzipro during a few of the transfers for the internal parasites.

That should take care of most problems. You can also setup a simple qt for further observation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

Where do you get the 12 days figure from?

19. Vhuang168

4 transfers, 1 every 72 hrs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

No , but seriously, what is that time and amount of transfers based on? You couldn't have any survive a transfer? 3 days seems like a long time. I thought people transferred every day?