Kessil

ReefBuilders & Knowledge in Reefing

Not sure if anyone here has seen the discussion going on over at Reefbuilders (http://reefbuilders.com/2011/01/05/based-frag-pricing-sexy-corals-smoking-crack/), the short of it is Jake Adams called out Sexy Corals on over priced items. He was really flamed for the article, and I was wondering what the opinions of the club are. Just what are the responsibilities of knowledgeable and well known (read) people in the hobby?

First, I would like to say that I am nearly entirely with Jake's point of view on this. With his knowledge, for him not to draw attention to a vendor who is overcharging for material would be significantly more wrong then what people are angry about. The average response ran along the lines of..."Hit piece for a non-advertiser""It is a free-market, blah, blah, blah."

A simple comparison of pricing across the internet (even compared to other "overpriced" sites), it seems like Sexy Corals is charging much more for less product. I will be the first to agree that any owner has the right to price the material at whatever price they want, and if your customers are happy with the service, more power to you. I just don't see how that would absolve you of criticism from anyone. With so many new people coming into the hobby without any knowledge of what things should cost, I think it is incredibly important for a site like ReefBuilders to call out companies.

The only thing wrong with the article in my opinion is its presentation. This is simply a personal viewpoint, and with the age and mentality of most Reefers (seems to be many young people), I definitely understand why it was written this way. Not to mention, with so few knowledgeable people talking about prices, he may have wanted to cause a splash.

Please try and keep any discussion civil, and I ask the moderators to use a heavy hand if anything even remotely could be taken in the wrong way and give the club a bad name.

I think that the discussion about this should really stay on their site. There are lost of very strong opinions on both sides and don't want to see out forum flame out of control like what is going on there at the moment.

seminolecpa said:
I think that the discussion about this should really stay on their site. There are lost of very strong opinions on both sides and don't want to see out forum flame out of control like what is going on there at the moment.

Agree.
But I would like to mention that I am glad that a link to that discussion was added here.

It is great that the BAR site is more about helping people with builds, sharing information,
and other more positive useful discussions.

However, if there is a vendor to really worry about, it would be good to spread a warning.
And linking to the discussion (if I call it that) was a great way to do it.
Because few of us probably have time to follow that many forums.

well the bottom line is Reefbuilders is a bloggers website, honestly its not terribly conducive to discussion. While yeah you can leave comments its not a forum.

Back