Cali Kid Corals

Reefer 170 reborn

Short update - I heard each tank has it's ups and downs - looks like my went down for some reason. Some of my SPS where STNed and covered by algae ( I guess dino ) and I trimmed and removed it - the large colony of birdsnest and my favorite green slimer went to the garbage can. At the same time Alk jumped - I guess due to the reduced consumption. LPSs doing fine. Now cleaning the leftovers, removing damaged peaces where algae is still growing and trying to restore tank stability - more testing and water changes. I guess once it's clean and back to life I'll get another slimer - it wast my center-peace and I missed it.

No fun. I’m dealing with some similar tough times in my tank, I just keep trying to look at it as a good learning experience since failure can be such a good teacher. Removing die off is a sad task

We have a DBTC slimer also if you are still looking for one. Am sorry about what happen, you will recover and learn from it all.
Thank you - I saw your DBTC post - really nice of you! Unfortunately it's little too far from me but once tank is settle I will definitely look there - mine was part of DBTC also.

Thank you - I saw your DBTC post - really nice of you! Unfortunately it's little too far from me but once tank is settle I will definitely look there - mine was part of DBTC also.
One of the values of this forum is all the opportunities to seed a tank from other reefers via DBTC and pay it forward. Do not worry, focuse on your system stability then you can venture in to diffrent specimens.. good luck

Last edited:
I agree, you’ve earned your stripes with the s slimer. Try something else this time would Ben my advice. I kept a slimer for many many years, out of respect for it mainly, but finally ditched it for more room for other sticks.

It's been a long time since I updated this thread and lots of maintenance - after spring's down-turn and careful maintenance tank recovered to some degree but went down again during one of the heat waves - I usually keep my room AC at 78 and it's enough to keep the tank 78-80 degrees but this time temp jumped to 82-84 and stayed warm for several days. I don't see any other reasons why corals got stressed and died - so far I lost couple LPS and SPS - the big birdsnest colony almost gone, others are partially covered by algae and RTNd.
I sent water to ICP and there is no significant problem found ( report attached). Any ideas if I should do anything besides cleaning, monitoring and regular maintenance?

Attachments

• Eugene Borokhov 0666.pdf
    327.9 KB · Views: 189
I’m continue to fight the summer tank crisis and still not sure whats going on with my tank - all params looks fine, some micros are low but it shouldn’t cause that much distress imho. Its been two month and my tank is not recovering at all - all corals are stressed and no signs of even slight improvement. Ricordias and mushrooms are not expanding, acans gone, chalices gone, most of SPS don’t show any polyp extension. Even zoas are stressed! I tried big water changes, no water changes, feedings, no feedings... Lots of algae on dead coral’s tissue, lots of aptasia and vermetid snails taking place of corals. Got rid of several big colonies, cut dead parts of other’s.
I’m out of ideas what to do - the last thought is that it might be some kind of chemical warfare since my tank is quite small. Any idea where to look and what to try?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I haven't updated my journal for awhile due to the unpleasant conditions of the tank but looks like it is slowly getting back. I moved some corals, cleaned rocks from dead tissues. Unfortunately some of my SPS gone except pink stylo, slime anacropora, monti setosa, unknown ultra-green monti and blue millipora. All chalices gone, acans have half of the heads only but slowly recovering. Algae is gone as well as aptasia - thanks to berghias from @JVU. Overall tank looks healthy - clean and there are lot of new growth.

IMG_0546.jpg
IMG_0547.jpg

I’m impressed, I have a reefer 170 also. You’ve packed a lot into it, especially sps up high.

what kind of light are you running? Do you know what par values you’re getting?

I’m impressed, I have a reefer 170 also. You’ve packed a lot into it, especially sps up high.

what kind of light are you running? Do you know what par values you’re getting?

Its AI hydra 26 HD - I looked for white fixture matching stand a kessil wasn’t an option. Its hanging on kessil arm. The par on top should be 200-300.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back