Cali Kid Corals

Reefer 250

Thanks, would that be similar to an anacropora? This one has been in my tank for a few months. Love it’s color!

b0ebaa4589254cd5330832a14bd0a87d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 30, 2020 growth update

Elegence coral has been doing a number on my clean up crew since moving it to the sand bed.

I have started to allow Apex to control the dosing amount for alk and cal. I am apprehensive to hand over the keys like that but for the last few days the testing looks more stable. I will continue to monitor. My reasoning behind this is that the dosing amount is changing constantly through the week since I replace the CO2 scrubber media every Sunday. Which requires about 38ml to maintain 8.5 dkh for the first day and works its self down to 32-34 by the following Saturday.

I am really happy with my SPS growth. The encrusting montis are doing well and spreading quickly. The more sensitive frags are mounted to the rock work as of this week and off the frag racks. They all are starting to encrust on the plugs and an excited to see what they look like in 6 months. The only loss was a stressed blue Millie that bleached a bit after picking it up from a fellow member. It subsequently recovered then RTN’d the next month. I plan to try again soon with that one.

I am expecting two more sps frags next week. Since everything has been going well I decided to pick up a Walt Disney acro and really excited to see how it does.

Once I am able to get new job I am going to invest in a nice camera and macro lens so that I can document the growth a bit better since the frags are no longer against the glass on a frag rack.

Latest growth update:

How do you like it. I'm really debating it just for peace of mind. Since I went on vacation my alk has dropped considerably and I rely on a buddy to test

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

How do you like it. I'm really debating it just for peace of mind. Since I went on vacation my alk has dropped considerably and I rely on a buddy to test

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Honestly, I have had it since October and only now started to trust it a bit more. I spent a long time testing with Hanna against it. My first unit was all over the place. I worked with their customer service for close to three weeks before they sent me a new one. The new one has been much better and consistent with Hanna (always tests about .3 lower than Hanna).

I will say there customer service was great, punctual, and understanding. I am happy I worked through the issues with them, even though it took a long time, and got a unit in good working order because it gives me more time to enjoy my tank.

The other thing I love is watching trends. I think I have made a better environment for my pets by having a pulse on my alk.

Below is a graph of my alk and it moves quite a bit day to day. That’s with the apex doser counteracting the swings as my PH goes from 7.98 to 8.38 through out the day. Those swings were about .1 to .2 larger when I didn’t let the apex control it.

c189d2618e6e2875d75d338c621c1bc3.jpg

Sorry I know that was a bunch of writing. Hopefully that was enough to give you an idea. Happy to talk about it more.

If I had a choice to buy it again I would. I will mention that I have considered purchasing an alkatronic as a redundancy since it doesn’t need a controller, but trident will still be my #1 until something that can include phosphate and nitrate in its tests.

Also the spike you see towards 8.6 was a test solution, not a tank result. Just as a disclaimer.

This weeks latest addition from BattleCorals as a gift from my fiancée for Christmas:

Fly me to the blue moon humlis
6783557a363e92e6dd92a43d42206bed.jpg

Battleberry

dd7505d14f575a403c27caa378f9c982.jpg

*Pictures are an hour after dipping and adding to the tank.

Back