Neptune Aquatics

Reefers with tanks 120g+, any regrets?

Lots of ways to skin this cat, but several able bodied adults is probably the most common. You’re looking at something in the range of 350 pounds and made of glass. While I’ve done worse in a pinch, I don’t advise doing it with just 2 of you don’t need to. Doing this with 4 isn’t too unreasonable, 5 or 6 would be easier. Have a plan before it leaves the ground.

More than 4 makes it more hard IMO. Not enough room for that many people. 2 of me can do it. Hope there’s no stairs. Lemme know when the time comes. The suction cups can help sometimes too.

I recommend 3-4 people. I have the same size tank and have had to move it a few times. Almost lost my brand new tank putting it on the stand for the first time with 2 people... It's doable with 2, but additional people help of anything starts to go wrong. Also it's safer.

Depends on where it's moving, and what the tank is made of. If it's acrylic, 2 people no problem and the only possible issues is sharp edges of the acrylic corners. For a glass tank - 2 people can be enough as long as they're somewhat able bodied, and there are no "acrobatics" needed to move it (this usually translates to stairs) because 2 people should be able to lift it (unless it's a crazy 3/4" rimless jobber) with suction cups onto a furniture dolly, then you can wheel it into position, and two people should be able to lift it from the dolly up. Again these are somewhat capable people doing it. if you have a lot of walking path then 2 people on each side each with a suction cup does make it a lot less work on people.

I should add to my 5-6 people comment that only 4 are probably on the actual tank. People 5 and 6 are there to do things like get the furniture dolly out of the way so nobody trips on it, put a hand on someone’s back if they start to lean farther than they meant to, move the cord you forgot about, etc.

what size sump do you guys recommend for a 150g? I see a lot of people running DIY 40g breeder sumps but thought that might be a bit small.

Currently I have a Trigger Sapphire 34 sump but the skimmer section is a very snug fit for the Reef Octopus 202S I plan on using on the new tank.

I like the size of the Trigger Sapphire 44 but would prefer not to drop >$500 on a new sump. I did see someone selling the Trigger Triton 44 for a decent price but the skimmer section is too small at 9.5x15. I could use the fuge section for my skimmer which is much larger at 23x15 but that means the old skimmer section (9.5x15) would be pretty small and even smaller than the fuge section on my Sapphire 34. Or would a small fuge not matter?

decided to strike the used triton 44 sump idea. looked at it again and its the V1 version which is a detritus trap in the drain section

Last edited:
what size sump do you guys recommend for a 150g? I see a lot of people running DIY 40g breeder sumps but thought that might be a bit small.

Currently I have a Trigger Sapphire 34 sump but the skimmer section is a very snug fit for the Reef Octopus 202S I plan on using on the new tank.

I like the size of the Trigger Sapphire 44 but would prefer not to drop >$500 on a new sump. I did see someone selling the Trigger Triton 44 for a decent price but the skimmer section is too small at 9.5x15. I could use the fuge section for my skimmer which is much larger at 23x15 but that means the old skimmer section (9.5x15) would be pretty small and even smaller than the fuge section on my Sapphire 34. Or would a small fuge not matter?

Starting with my typical “It depends”. How do you feel about the size of your current fuge?
You could also string a couple sumps together. This can be a nice way to add a fuge chamber up front. Care should be taken to ensure you aren’t setting yourself up for heartbreak or floods when doing so. There are several ways for that to go wrong.

Starting with my typical “It depends”. How do you feel about the size of your current fuge?
You could also string a couple sumps together. This can be a nice way to add a fuge chamber up front. Care should be taken to ensure you aren’t setting yourself up for heartbreak or floods when doing so. There are several ways for that to go wrong.

I think its decent but wouldn't mind going bigger. so I'm now leaning towards a DIY sump or buying. other than a 40g breeder, there doesn't seem to be any good sizes, right? otherwise the next decent sized option is a 75g.

I’ve gone the 75 route on other tanks. Careful to make sure you can get the skimmer in and out without taking the entire sump out.
Depending on space a 50, if you can find one, can be a good in between size.

Sump should be as wide and long as possible and still fit in the stand.
But as low as possible, so you can have access to skimmer/whatever.
I would say 50-75G is ideal.

Note that you can use two smaller tanks for the sump.
Two acrylic tanks with a short 2" pipe usually works. You just have to be careful that there is no stress on it,
and use tons of silicone on the bulkheads so they never leak.

I have two sumps under my DT connected by 2" bulkheads. Does make it a lot easier and still allows you to have as much sump volume as possible.

A lot of the decision on the sump will depend on your choice of filtration. If a fuge is in the plans then a larger sump with a huge fuge section will be needed. If the plan is reactors and skimmers, then you don't need that big a sump.

thanks for the help everyone. ended up going with the Trigger Sapphire 44 as I felt that provided a good size and enough dimensions for equipment/fuge.

Back