Kessil

Reefin’ on a Budget

Welcome! Great to have you join us.
I don’t think I saw any mention about you having three clownfish. If that’s still the case, it’s usually not the best idea. I would keep the two that seem to be a pair and rehome the third.

From their Google maps page. Lmao
1000006755.jpg

Welcome! Great to have you join us.
I don’t think I saw any mention about you having three clownfish. If that’s still the case, it’s usually not the best idea. I would keep the two that seem to be a pair and rehome the third.
I lost one of the originals and replaced it with the white one. In the near future I’ll be converting a 30gal freshwater tank I have to salt so I can move the nem out of this tank. Undecided if they’ll be coming too or if I’ll get another pair. These ones aren’t hosting it or any of the other corals.

I lost one of the originals and replaced it with the white one. In the near future I’ll be converting a 30gal freshwater tank I have to salt so I can move the nem out of this tank. Undecided if they’ll be coming too or if I’ll get another pair. These ones aren’t hosting it or any of the other corals.
Ahh I see.
Hosting isn’t something that’s guaranteed. Semantically, it’s actually the clownfish that are being hosted.
Really just comes down to having a coral or anemone that the clownfish take a liking to. I know there are certain ways to try and force it to happen, but I wouldn’t allow that to be a deciding factor in whether you keep them or not.

Ahh I see.
Hosting isn’t something that’s guaranteed. Semantically, it’s actually the clownfish that are being hosted.
Really just comes down to having a coral or anemone that the clownfish take a liking to. I know there are certain ways to try and force it to happen, but I wouldn’t allow that to be a deciding factor in whether you keep them or not.
True I guess they’re the hostees lol. They’re staying either way, I just haven’t decided whether they’ll move to the new tank when it’s up and running or stay in this one.

I have had a lot of success with matching clownfish and anemones.
I feed the tank lightly for a few days, make everyone hungry. I only feed mysis shrimp in the anemones tentacles. Eventually the clownfish figure out that they can get the food while other fish avoid them. Once they feel that pillow goodness, they usually figure it out.

This works better with large anemones and it doesn't work very well in tanks with lots of food aggressive fish.

Couple shots of the whole tank and a better look at my diy above tank filtration. Don’t judge too hard keep the title of this thread in mind lol!

It’s a 7gal trash can, with two smaller ones stacked inside. The intake is a capped L shape with bunch of holes drilled into the bottom. I have some coarse sponge wrapped around it in a media bag. The first can has a more fine filter floss. Both of these get changed regularly. The second can is packed with ceramic bio blocks and flows into the main can that has a few more ceramic blocks and some rock it. Drains out of three 3/4” pipes back into the tank. I know it’s not ideal, but it’s getting me by for now, and was honestly a fun little project.

Beneath the tank I keep some of my supplies, another can for water changes, and some salt. Been doing 10% water changes weekly.

Attachments

• IMG_2354.jpeg
    IMG_2354.jpeg
    55.2 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_2351.jpeg
    IMG_2351.jpeg
    57.2 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_2360.jpeg
    IMG_2360.jpeg
    72.2 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2358.jpeg
    IMG_2358.jpeg
    47.3 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2357.jpeg
    IMG_2357.jpeg
    47.5 KB · Views: 38
Couple shots of the whole tank and a better look at my diy above tank filtration. Don’t judge too hard keep the title of this thread in mind lol!

It’s a 7gal trash can, with two smaller ones stacked inside. The intake is a capped L shape with bunch of holes drilled into the bottom. I have some coarse sponge wrapped around it in a media bag. The first can has a more fine filter floss. Both of these get changed regularly. The second can is packed with ceramic bio blocks and flows into the main can that has a few more ceramic blocks and some rock it. Drains out of three 3/4” pipes back into the tank. I know it’s not ideal, but it’s getting me by for now, and was honestly a fun little project.

Beneath the tank I keep some of my supplies, another can for water changes, and some salt. Been doing 10% water changes weekly.

Looks kinda intriging to be honest. I'd definitely watch a utube video about it if you ever made one. You have some good "MacGyver type skills."

It’s kinda hard to tell from picture but my initial concern would be it seems to be resting on your tanks rim from picture?

I would be worried about possible stress over time and potentially cracking the glass. Maybe consider rigging up some kind of shelf or support brackets so that your tank isn't what’s holding it up. Forgive me if my assumptions are wrong only going by what I can make out from the pictures.

Last edited:
Looks kinda intriging to be honest. I'd definitely watch a utube video about it if you ever made one. You have some good "MacGyver type skills."

It’s kinda hard to tell from picture but my initial concern would be it seems to be resting on your tanks rim from picture?

I would be worried about possible stress over time and potentially cracking the glass. Maybe consider rigging up some kind of shelf or support brackets so that your tank isn't what’s holding it up. Forgive me if my assumptions are worng only going by what I can make out from the pictures.
Thank you! You and I are on the same page. That was an after thought of mine and plan to add some kind of bracket(s).
Before putting any weight into it I lifted it a hair off the tank and drove a few screws through it into the wall thinking that would help somewhat. Probably doesn’t but made me feel better lol.

Thank you! You and I are on the same page. That was an after thought of mine and plan to add some kind of bracket(s).
Before putting any weight into it I lifted it a hair off the tank and drove a few screws through it into the wall thinking that would help somewhat. Probably doesn’t but made me feel better lol.

To start, I'm no reef tank veteran by anymeans, probably a novice by personal assesment. You don't want screws metal in contact with saltwater, it will rust and then that will leak Into the water. It won't rust right away as in tomorrow but a fairly short amount time (days to a week or two) it can cause your tank to go south quickly. Also your screw holes Create more places for potential leaks. Main concern is the metal screws. Salt water is extremely corrosive to metals.

To start, I'm no reef tank veteran by anymeans, probably a novice by personal assesment. You don't want screws metal in contact with saltwater, it will rust and then that will leak Into the water. It won't rust right away as in tomorrow but a fairly short amount time (days to a week or two) it can cause your tank to go south quickly. Also your screw holes Create more places for potential leaks. Main concern is the metal screws. Salt water is extremely corrosive to metals.
True. They’re at the top so not worried about leaking but rust is already there. Maybe brackets will be one of this weekends projects.

True. They’re at the top so not worried about leaking but rust is already there. Maybe brackets will be one of this weekends projects.
Those screws were the first thing I noticed when I saw the pics. The potential of splashing/condensation and then having those bits of rust dripping into the water, would be my concern.

In my mind though, it doesn't seem like it would be enough to cause a problem in the short term. But if it was in constant contact with the water and leeching, then I would definitely be concerned. But brackets seems like a better play either way.

Back