Cali Kid Corals

resealing a starfire glass tank

hahaha yeah, I'd find a had time arguing that one out with the wife too... "gonna swing by a guys house to pick up some fish stuff" "But it's 6am?" "Yup be back around 8... pm"

Plus the hybrid battery on my prius has entered the wonky years, and some TLC to replace some of the cells is necessary.

hahaha yeah, I'd find a had time arguing that one out with the wife too... "gonna swing by a guys house to pick up some fish stuff" "But it's 6am?" "Yup be back around 8... pm"

Plus the hybrid battery on my prius has entered the wonky years, and some TLC to replace some of the cells is necessary.
Just tell her you got lost. Or blame it on the Prius battery.

Quick question: if you are resealing a tank can you use bar clamps instead of angle clamps? Two on each side top and bottom the width of the tank? If so would it be better to use them on the length of the tank? Or at both positions?

Quick question: if you are resealing a tank can you use bar clamps instead of angle clamps? Two on each side top and bottom the width of the tank? If so would it be better to use them on the length of the tank? Or at both positions?
with the angle clamps, you can set the width where the silicone goes in. And they hold the panels upright. I guess you could use the bar clamps. Check out 13:40 :

They don't have a black plastic underline. They're going to install black trims.

Once the silicone is applied, the panels won't move inward. The blocks will prevent them from sliding outward.

Normally a spacer is used to make sure the panels are not squeezed too tightly. The spacer is typically left in the seam.

Front panel = 41.2 lbs
Bottom = 48
Rear = 42.2
Left = 19.2
Right = 19.2

169.80 lbs

Odd the front is lighter than the rear even with the 4 holes in the rear panels. I weighed them several times.

Is the front low iron glass? That may be a bit less density. Also are they exactly the same thickness? Even an extra 16th could make up for the difference
You're spot on detective. Front starfire is 1/32 thinner than the rear regular glass.

Cut up a microfiber towel, soaked it in vinegar and setting them on glass to hopefully remove the salt line
20210916_101734.jpg

Does anybody know where I can get some quality corner clamps locally?

Got a set of 4 clamps from Amazon for $16 (they're $5 each at Harbor freight). These chipped the thinner glass. Consider ordering these https://www.harborfreight.com/corner-clamp-with-quick-release-38661.html, but they don't have dampeners, so may chip thicker glass too.

These are nice, but a bit pricey: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Wolfcra...gree-Angle-and-Corner-Clamp-3415405/303283219 and 7-10 days to arrive.

Got the panels taped up and ready for clamps and silicone. To ensure the tapes are straight, I used 2 erasers blocks as guides.

Built a frame to prevent the glass from sliding at the bottom while the clamp hold the top. The baseboard is made of 60x30" plywood. I re-use the tank bottom liner since it measures perfectly 48x24 and fits the tank dimensions. Then screwed long blocks to prevent slides\drift.

Attachments

• 20210923_105244.jpg
    20210923_105244.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 242
  • 20210923_105252.jpg
    20210923_105252.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 237
  • 20210922_134926.jpg
    20210922_134926.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 252
  • 20210922_134845.jpg
    20210922_134845.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 242
Last edited:
Finally gathered all the tools and brainstormed.

Setting the gap was most frustrating until my brain got a kick and thought of spacers. I didn't have anything available except puzzle pieces.

Spacers helped saved a lot of time and headache of adjusting the gap.

Turns out the puzzle is too thin. It is difficult to squeeze the silicone even with the battery caulk dispenser.

I gave up.

Woke up this morning with a stubborn willingness to finish this project. Figure I just need wider gap. Thinking of using domino tiles.

Now need to remove silicone and start over.

Errors:
1.The tape liner distance isn't all the same.
2. Cut the silicone nozzle at 90 degree instead of 45 degree like we do for bathroom caulk. Makes it easier to squeeze silicone into gap
3. Use spacers!!!
4. Get 3 silicone tubes instead of 2
5. After adjusting the gaps, screw in blocks to prevent the panels from moving outward at the bottom. Need to find a way to prevent them from moving inward on top. Update thanks @xcaret For letting me know the clamps are reversible. This solve the worry of the panels moving inward problem
20211015_210428.jpg
20211015_211954.jpg
20211015_210243.jpg

Now I have to start over by removing the silicone.

Last edited:
Back