Reef nutrition

Resurrecting the 90 Corner Bow

i have thought about running the return plumbing all the way over and then into the bottom portion of my tank, but it may inhibit the look i'm going for. however, it definitely works for your setup because of the rockwork that blocks most of it

finished the conduits for the kessils.

Also after training the damsel to feed with a net in the tank. I was able to catch him with ease and put him in the sump. Replaced him with a school of chromis in the DT.

Last edited:
almost had a flood when I turned off the power, because the skimmer works well for a water level of 8 to 10 inches and return part of sump is only 13 inches high. drilled a bulk head on the sump to empty out to a 30 gallon tray just in case of an outage.

barb fitting will be turned horizontally once its setup of course.....

always had a distrust of a float and powerhead for overfills, a bad experience has taught me that.

Last edited:
with an already limited space in the sump cabinet of the corner bow. needed to fashion a lil' stand for the 3 part container out an old target wire stand to make use of the cramped real estate!

With a lil' rattle can and minor sanding of the rust and paint, voila:

Last edited:
Good lord talk about stuffing 10 pounds of stuff into a 5 pound sack :D
I love your water & 3 part containers with the black acrylic to make everything blend in instead of just having a poly-jug o' water.

Was your 3-part container made by Advanced Acrylic by chance?

I'm not sure but the guy that made it is in Anaheim, CA and AA is in Ontario, CA. Pretty close in proximity, so it may be. Or he can be a worker.

The Ato tower looks similar to the AA setup as well.

Last edited:
I love your rock work. I'm new to the hobby and unfamiliar with closed loop plumbing. I'll have to do a bit of research on that one. But the plumbing looks tight. Can't wait to see the progression of your system.

Last edited:
Looking good there sump_penny. I used to have a 92 gal corner as well and I really enjoyed the tank. Kinda wish I didn't sell it to be honest, but oh wellz.

I also used an OM and it did okay, but IMO it didn't move the water around like I wanted. I ultimately got rid of it and went with a couple larger powerheads. In the future if you find that the water flow isn't enough, you can get a couple of MP40/WP40.

I also used an OM and it did okay, but IMO it didn't move the water around like I wanted.

Im curious as to how you were trying to move the water. were you trying to tumble the water like a barrel rolling ? What pump did you use with the OM?We'll see Im still lagging with the stocking. I got busy at home with parenthood. I'm still lagging prepping the light stand and wiring for the kessils. Still waiting on the mini dosers for the 2 part and mag.... I'll probably supplement with powerheads if i dont get enough flow. or get a bigger pump.

I used a Mag 9.5 with an OM Squirt initially, but it was never enough flow for me and in the end I didn't want that much flow moving through my small sump anyway so I eventually removed it. Also playing into the decision was nice controllable powerheads becoming available. It simplified my system to have a small return pump and a couple of larger controllable powerheads in the display.

Since you already have the equipment and plumbed the system, you can give it a try for a while and then decide down the road if it still fits your needs. If you find that it's not enough, my only recommendation is supplement with larger powerheads (ie MP40 or WP40) one at a time until you're happy. This will work well if you intend to stock SPS as you'll want a decent amount of flow through your system. If not, you can always go for the smaller powerheads.

Looking forward to seeing more progress on your 92g... :)

I used a Mag 9.5 with an OM Squirt initially, but it was never enough flow for me and in the end I didn't want that much flow moving through my small sump anyway so I eventually removed it.....

We'll see i got a reeflow dart about 3500 gph and the four way OM vs the 2-way and 950gph. I chose the closed loop so i dont have to have that flow in the sump. If I'm not happy with flow I will definitely follow your advice on the power heads. i might get ones that you can regulate flow. thinking about putting maybe 2 on the top front to help push flow to back corner. and maybe a couple at the back pushing flow down to the bottom corner.

wish me luck.... I'm still in the start. really been lagging but slowly but surely getting the tank up to speed.

Last edited:
Finally got the kessils up!!! Used a pair of adjustable hydroponic light fixture rope/pulley. Kinda looks bulky. May endup using black steel cable lanyards instead. what do you guys think?

Also finished the net top. Love the clear netting which does not affect the lighting at all.

Back