Jestersix

RO/DI waste water to fill hot tub?

Does anyone out there use RO/DI waste water to fill their hot tub?

The house we bought has one and its currently empty. I think there's still a moratorium on using potable drinking water to fill hot tubs. I was thinking that my RO/DI waste water would be a good source of water which I could use to fill this and keep it topped up.

Anyone else doing the same?

RO/DI waste would be a great source for topping off your hot tub. But hot tubs don't loose much water if they have a proper lid. I add about 10 maybe 20 gallons a month to mine and its a big ass hot tub. http://www.hotspring.com/shop-hot-tub-models/highlife/7-person-large-hot-tubs-grandee The only reason it ever looses a bunch of water is if my kids and their friends get in and are splashing around.

No comment on moratoriums in your area, but unless your hot tub is the size of a swimming pool you can probably just fill it from the hose and its not going to raise red flags.

RO/DI waste would be a great source for topping off your hot tub. But hot tubs don't loose much water if they have a proper lid. I add about 10 maybe 20 gallons a month to mine and its a big ass hot tub. http://www.hotspring.com/shop-hot-tub-models/highlife/7-person-large-hot-tubs-grandee The only reason it ever looses a bunch of water is if my kids and their friends get in and are splashing around.

No comment on moratoriums in your area, but unless your hot tub is the size of a swimming pool you can probably just fill it from the hose and its not going to raise red flags.

Actually, on closer investigation San Jose Water co. lists a ban on filling pools, but nothing about hot tubs. I guess I can use the RO/DI waste water as much as possible and use the hose for the rest.

How often do you change the entire water volume in the hot tub? Or is that even necessary? I guess I better do some investigation into caring for these things. Haha.

I empty and fill once a year. the need for total changes really depends on how often you use it. for us once a year is cool. At the Playboy Mansion...more often :(

Maybe my parents never drained it and filled it because us kids did about a 10% water change every couple weeks with all the splashing we did.

Back