got ethical husbandry?

Room CO2 impact on PH

Meshmez

Supporting Member
I know it has been talked about, but I'm able to pretty drastically change my room CO2 quickly and wanted to share some graphs. I always find this stuff interesting, and figured others may as well.

I change CO2 by opening widows and running the whole house fan. It's pretty effective, but obviously dependent on outside weather.

My skimmer is not even on during this time, so this is just air exchange from water surface disruption.

Pretty obvious when windows were opened after being closed up all day...
Screenshot_20210508-215928_APEX Fusion.jpg

When CO2 drops the slope of the PH changes almost immediately. You can also see the PH start to level off as CO2 builds through the day. Lights on at 12.
Screenshot_20210508-220018_APEX Fusion.jpg

A couple shots to show alk drop in relation to decreased co2/increased ph, though this is also during peak lighting, so maybe not as convincing as the CO2/ph affect
Screenshot_20210508-220618_APEX Fusion.jpg

Screenshot_20210508-220639_APEX Fusion.jpg

Where are you measuring CO2? Next to the tank? Have you checked in the sump cabinet? I bet it changes less drastically in there if it is mostly closed like mine, and if the skimmer is on and using the standard air intake, the CO2 in the sump air matters more than the room air.

Where are you measuring CO2? Next to the tank? Have you checked in the sump cabinet? I bet it changes less drastically in there if it is mostly closed like mine, and if the skimmer is on and using the standard air intake, the CO2 in the sump air matters more than the room air.
It's in the cabinet. Please ignore the mess...
20210509_152020.jpg

Reactions: JVU
Today I was able to open up in the morning, and you can see it boosted the PH before lights were on. Skimmer was on during that time, with co2 scrubber... While I do believe the co2 scrubber helps, it's limited. Probably need higher flow through it.

Screenshot_20210509-191537_APEX Fusion.jpg

Back