got ethical husbandry?

Rostatos Reefer 450 and Reefer 170

Going to start a new journal?

I’m thinking not. I’ll be moving things from one tank to another after I figure out my zoa issue.

Picked up this beautiful pin tail wrasse from violet sea today. Thanks for the idea @Coral reefer

The guys at violet sea are really hurting for business during the pandemic. If you can go help support the store they would surely appreciate it
D9A420B8-E211-4440-9E36-C66A39489F06.jpeg

Also bought a beautiful Acan Enchinata and a candy crush chalice from them. I’ll have pick of those later. Those are going in the 450

I think I have finally perfected the lazy reefer way of GFO and carbon. Sorry @The_Lazy_Reefer

What I do is run Rox carbon from BRS because it’s so clean, and run rowsphos. It’s not cheap, bit rowaphos doesn’t even require rinsing (technically).

But if you just mix them together sandwiched between done filter floss, you don’t even need to rinse. I’ve been doing this for about 3 months now and every time I start up the reactor I get perfectly clear water in the output.

Ive stoped rinsing and pulling the first bit of water out of the reactor after changing media. Takes me like 5 minutes to swap out media.

Added bonus, the filter floss in the bottom completely cleans the reactor out as it falls into the trash every two weeks.

Also, the poly filter has officially not changed colors. So I’m happy with that.

B995A102-2BA4-4845-8B84-7B1C2A9A9B5C.jpeg
5D40CCF8-436B-4626-9E0D-BA78B7A93452.jpeg
81C4C9DA-4E46-4CA2-ACAE-151618F5B220.jpeg

Is it then in a reactor powered by your manifold? How much flow do you put through it?

this approach seems to remove the concerns of flow rate and tumbling speed. Cause you don’t want the media crumbling after tumbling

Is it then in a reactor powered by your manifold? How much flow do you put through it?

this approach seems to remove the concerns of flow rate and tumbling speed. Cause you don’t want the media crumbling after tumbling

Correct. No tumbling. I just mix the two up by adding a tablespoon of each; one after another, then stick a spoon in there and mix it up a bit. I run 5 TBS of rowa and 6 TBS of ROX

Yes, it’s ran off my Manifold, and I have no clue about flow rate. But it’s not nearly as slow as needed to just tumuble gfo

170 is in full ugly faze. I put too many “new” rocks in the tank with all my seeded rock. Ah well, I guess I’ll wait another few months for it to pretty up

I finally read all of the coral magazine articles on coral spawning and have gone down the rabbit hole. A fun one mind you. Maybe @Thales has some suggestions or things I may be missing? @Squist have you changed anything yet?

Things I have changed.
1. Downgraded my gen 4 Radions to work with my wxm instrad of mobius (I hated mobius)
2. Attached Radions to wxm and programmed to follow the season table (2 hours later than “normal“ so I can view later into the evening)
3. Added a Neptune LSM and three lunar LED’s and also have them coming on 2 hours later than “Normal”
4. Changed my gyres to run the 24hr lunar tidal mode also following the noon phases
5. Changed my feed cycle for my nighttime feeding completely. In the past, I just dumped in Acropower/ Red Sea AB+, fish food, and then oyster feast mixed with reef roids and all pumps running. Now, all pumps are off for 7 minutes, and the return and skimmer are off for 45 minutes. This will allow the tank to “soak” in food.

Things to do
1. Decide if I want to trust the apex outlet to turn on my heaters and follow the season table with that. It would probably help my power bill for the tank to get cooler during the winter and warmer during the summer. I need to find a way to have the ranco controller shut down the heaters if it gets too hot.
A. How much of a temp swing I should allow within the apex season table?
2. Move my MP40’s to the bottom of the tank and only use them as support flow so as to not disturb the gyres lunar swell mode. There is probably too much flow right now that’s directed at certian corals, so I need to make more indirect flow.
3. Change the season table in the apex to a location in the tropics that I want to mimic.
4. Wait

I have decided that I won’t black out the tank and see if I can still get some corals to spawn. My goal isn’t to rear any corals yet. I just want to see if I can get it to happen.

Things I need to figure out.
1. When will my corals potentially spawn. The articles gave me something to go off of, but I have different acros.
2. Does flow even matter or help? I am thinking of having the flow completely off (minus return) for a few hours after sunset.

My lunar lights attached to my rms mounts
image.jpg

Last edited:
Things to do
1. Decide if I want to trust the apex outlet to turn on my heaters and follow the season table with that. It would probably help my power bill for the tank to get cooler during the winter and warmer during the summer. I need to find a way to have the ranco controller shut down the heaters if it gets too hot.
If you set the ranco to shut off at 78, and apex to shut off at 77, if the apex stays on the ranco should shut off. Unless I'm misunderstanding the issue.

It's basically the opposite or what you "normally" do letting the heater thermostat work and using apex as the failsafe. The only issue here is you're now cycling the apex relays more often. Some say this is no problem, some say it's a problem. *shrug*
Yes, I also need to figure out how much of a temp swing I should allow within the apex season table. For example if the month of January temperature is 76, would the apex allow it to swing a whole degree or only one tenth of a degree? Hmm

ill add that to my to-do list

Yes, I also need to figure out how much of a temp swing I should allow within the apex season table. For example if the month of January temperature is 76, would the apex allow it to swing a whole degree or only one tenth of a degree? Hmm

ill add that to my to-do list
I haven't read the article, so forgive me if this is in it, but is the actual temp important? Or the seasonal shift? Why I ask is during summer my tank runs 79-80 with no heater, and during winter it runs 77-78 with heater. No programming needed. Any way you could do something like that?

I haven't read the article, so forgive me if this is in it, but is the actual temp important? Or the seasonal shift? Why I ask is during summer my tank runs 79-80 with no heater, and during winter it runs 77-78 with heater. No programming needed. Any way you could do something like that?
Unfortunately no. My tank will get very cold in the winter. We keep our house at 65 degrees in the winter time because PG&E is stupid expensive and we are in a very old house.

My tank doesn’t need too much heat in the summer because we keep the house at 79 degrees in the summer...PG&E sucks

The articles basically said they do t really know if the temp is important or not. I figure I’ll try this first and if I get a spawn I’ll change e temp to a constant again and wait another year.

Unfortunately no. My tank will get very cold in the winter. We keep our house at 65 degrees in the winter time because PG&E is stupid expensive and we are in a very old house.

My tank doesn’t need too much heat in the summer because we keep the house at 79 degrees in the summer...PG&E sucks

The articles basically said they do t really know if the temp is important or not. I figure I’ll try this first and if I get a spawn I’ll change e temp to a constant again and wait another year.
Right, so what I'm saying is you don't really need to program anything, just drop your ranco to 77 and during summer it will drift to 79 and winter it will drift to 77 (or 76 or whatever lower limit you want)

Back