High Tide Aquatics

Ryan’s 40G first reef

What size NLS pellets do you have. All my fish love NLS thera+a pellets but I get the "small fish" version which I think is 0.5mm pellets. All eat these small pellets, only my bigger fish would eat anything bigger.
That's exactly what I feed! The pellets are so small they dont seem to realize that it's food. I'll try night pellets and frozen mornings.

That's exactly what I feed! The pellets are so small they dont seem to realize that it's food. I'll try night pellets and frozen mornings.
Ya,feed it along with something they go after, and watch very closely. They will probably start grabbing them and spitting them out, and then eventually (after numerous feedings) eat it. Even my anthias eats it now.

Last edited:
No!!!

What Eric said, and I am pretty sure I said this earlier too, feed more to get nitrates and phosphates. You can play with the ratio of frozen to flake to reef roids to mess with ratios of nitrates and phosphates going in.

Stop putting anything in your tank that isn't salt water or food!!! I promise it will work out.
personally, i dont like reef roids. i would get some frozen pe mysis shrimps, thaw them out with tank water, dont drain the water, and just throw them all in the tank. not only will the fish like the mysis shrimps, but will also add po4 to the system.

Brought @PeetaJai Tunze 9004 DC AIO skimmer home from SF after passing my day job certification exam. I have to wait a few weeks for it to break in so I can get it dialed in.
19FE0A9C-F109-40DB-8F1D-40F725B6B5AC.jpeg

How do you have it tuned? I'm between 20 and 35% but each micro adjustment makes a drastic change. I wish it had a LCD controller.

Every tank is different. Mine is at maybe 40%. It takes a while for mine to settle it. There isn’t much nutrient to skim in the beginning. I didn’t fuss too much about tuning. Set to to a point where the bubble is almost reaching the top but not exactly over. Over time it will start skimming .

Disclaimer - I’m not a expert to give any advise.

Sort of following your build thread. You have low nutrients. You started dosing and also maybe reefroid to increase nitrate and phosphate. I’m following so far

How the skimmer fits into the overall picture? Are you trying to increase nutrient or removing nutrient?

I am trying to learn as well, so don’t take this as a criticism.

I turn off my skimmer now and then to help build up nutrient. I dose nitrate occasionally to keep it above zero. My phosphate is good , stable at 0.04 with my current gfo routine.

Sort of following your build thread. You have low nutrients. You started dosing and also maybe reefroid to increase nitrate and phosphate. I’m following so far

How the skimmer fits into the overall picture? Are you trying to increase nutrient or removing nutrient?

I am trying to learn as well, so don’t take this as a criticism.

I turn off my skimmer now and then to help build up nutrient. I dose nitrate occasionally to keep it above zero. My phosphate is good , stable at 0.04 with my current gfo routine.
I got the skimmer to rule out one cause of my cyano, dirtier water. I shut down my fuge because I had low nutrients.

Nutrients are once again 0, 0 despite daily pellet and frozen overfeeding. Bummer. Alk dropped to 7.1 because I skipped a week of WCing. Cyano is getting much worse despite it being blown off nearly daily. Skimmer is working well and pulling out gunk. Hawkfish appeared to eat a frozen brine shrimp! Torch is seemingly fine.

Back