Our mission

Rygh's 250 gallon - Rev 3

So the equipment that has died in the last 2 months:
Skimmer pump
Return pump
Cooling fan
Two Lights

Hard to believe it is a total coincidence.
I have a feeling it might be the heat.
All that equipment is old. Perhaps the heat wave did them in.
That does seem odd. Are they all plugged into the same power strip or energy bar? Did they all just stop working with no noticeable warning symptoms?

That does seem odd. Are they all plugged into the same power strip or energy bar? Did they all just stop working with no noticeable warning symptoms?
That's what I'm thinking too, maybe a bad power strip that wasn't protecting the other devices as each failed. Power surges/flickers or something funny on that end wrecking the electronics perhaps? Not sure if anyone here runs power conditioners like audiophiles or high end video people do.

That's what I'm thinking too, maybe a bad power strip that wasn't protecting the other devices as each failed. Power surges/flickers or something funny on that end wrecking the electronics perhaps? Not sure if anyone here runs power conditioners like audiophiles or high end video people do.
I have a dedicated circuit for everything.
I actually split that into individual outputs, each with a GFCI. So if one GFCI pops, it does not take down the others.
And there is a big surge protector built into the circuit. Still showing green.

But I do not have a true power conditioner on the circuit, no.

The thing is, pretty much all the components now have a large switching AC/DC power supply.
By the nature of the design, those are very resistant to problems with minor voltage problems.
Plus, they have huge inrush current when turned on, which causes havoc with most cheaper power conditioners.

Plus, they did not all fail at once. It was over a couple of months.

So I really doubt it was a power problem.
I am thinking age + heat + simple bad luck.

Back