High Tide Aquatics

Rygh's 250 gallon - Rev 3

How do you do it? I clean my acrylic with a plastic card on a stick and so far I’ve been trying to clean it before it forms, but now that the bottom is getting covered it’s starting to creep up the side

Elbow grease?

How do you do it? I clean my acrylic with a plastic card on a stick and so far I’ve been trying to clean it before it forms, but now that the bottom is getting covered it’s starting to creep up the side

Elbow grease?
I use the generic aquarium scrapers with replaceable plastic blades.
I have a hand one, about 4", for most of it, and a longer 16" or so one for near the bottom.
Yes, it takes a lot of elbow grease.

One thing that really helps, I sharpen them a LOT.
For heavy coraline, about every 2x2 foot area, I give the blade a quick hit on the belt sander.

I would occasionally use a razor blade, and you can get away with it as long as there aren't any imperfections on the blade and you lay it flat. That said, it's a rather large "if" there.

Coraline algae is the primary reason why I've steered away from acrylic tanks. Everything else about them is great! :D

I would occasionally use a razor blade, and you can get away with it as long as there aren't any imperfections on the blade and you lay it flat. That said, it's a rather large "if" there.

Coraline algae is the primary reason why I've steered away from acrylic tanks. Everything else about them is great! :D
I know me. I would be super careful the first time with a razor blade, and it would work great.
Then later, I would get complacent, use a dirty rusty blade, get sloppy, and totally ruin my tank.
Of course, that could be an excuse for a new tank.....

I know me. I would be super careful the first time with a razor blade, and it would work great.
Then later, I would get complacent, use a dirty rusty blade, get sloppy, and totally ruin my tank.
Of course, that could be an excuse for a new tank.....
Me...exactly

Some interesting battling going on between corals.
I never really expected an encrusting coral to start heading up a branching coral, and encrust over it.
The funny thing - the coral winning over the branching one is actually losing to the one on the right.

fgt.jpg

Weird RBTA thing going on.
These anemones used to have nice big colorful bubbles, with relatively short tendrils.
Now they are all long and stringy, with almost no bubbles.
Same Nem, same spot, just a year or two older.
Ideas??

NOW:
IMG_0606.jpg

BEFORE:
PC270016.JPG

The answer to your question is: Are we alone in the universe?

;) Seriously, no one knows the answer. Many have postulated lighting, flow, water parameters, farting in the wrong direction, but no one really has a proven answer unfortunately.

Last edited:
Do the bubbles ever come back once they have left? With a past nem, I never saw it go back to bubbly once it elongated. I only kept it for about 2 years though...

Back