Jestersix

Rygh's 250 gallon upgrade

rygh said:
Kensington Reefer said:
Is that lateral line erosion on your desjardini tang? If so, the food should be fortified with vitamins and fatty acids and amino acids. (I have never had a fish come down with this condition.)
No, it is from an injury. Basically a scar on one side.
I noticed it in the quarantine tank after I brought him home, so likely happened during shipping or something.
Perhaps some other tang took a few chunks out.
I figure it just gives the fish character. :)

Well .... I may have to take that back. :~
I spent a lot more time looking today. (Day at home)

The old scar is there of course, and that is definitely the main damage down the side.
But there is a pit behind the eye, that I don't think matches the scar.
And there is a small pit on the other side behind that eye as well, which certainly has
nothing to do with the old scar.

So it might very well be early stage HLLE after all. I am very glad you got me thinking.

I do feed pretty good quality food, and always wash the carbon.

Time to soak the seaweed and other food in some extra vitamins I guess.
Perhaps get some Zoecon or something.
Any specific recommendations on fortified food??

rygh said:
rygh said:
Kensington Reefer said:
Is that lateral line erosion on your desjardini tang? If so, the food should be fortified with vitamins and fatty acids and amino acids. (I have never had a fish come down with this condition.)
No, it is from an injury. Basically a scar on one side.
I noticed it in the quarantine tank after I brought him home, so likely happened during shipping or something.
Perhaps some other tang took a few chunks out.
I figure it just gives the fish character. :)

Well .... I may have to take that back. :~
I spent a lot more time looking today. (Day at home)

The old scar is there of course, and that is definitely the main damage down the side.
But there is a pit behind the eye, that I don't think matches the scar.
And there is a small pit on the other side behind that eye as well, which certainly has
nothing to do with the old scar.

So it might very well be early stage HLLE after all. I am very glad you got me thinking.

I do feed pretty good quality food, and always wash the carbon.

Time to soak the seaweed and other food in some extra vitamins I guess.
Perhaps get some Zoecon or something.

TDO.... I've got some samples, what pellet size? 1mm or 2mm?

BAYMAC said:
rygh said:

TDO.... I've got some samples, what pellet size? 1mm or 2mm?

Will do.
And guess what : I have some!
TDO-C1, although small : 360-620um
You gave out samples a while back on some web contest.

Feeding note:

As background on what I feed the fish now:
Auto-feed a mixture of Ocean Nutrition Prime reef flakes + formula 2 flakes, twice a day.
Manually feed frozen : Varies : Rod's food, mysis shrimp, spirulina brine shrimp. Every night.
Manually feed a chunk of dried seaweed: Varies. Every other day.

I do not use pellets. I have tried, but they really seem to sink so fast that most become
shrimp and snail food, or rot in the corners.

Some new additions.
Mystery Wrasse, Yellow Tang (not that new), 5 line Cardinal.
There are some other new fish as well, but they are too shy so far.

mystery_wrasse1.JPG

ylw_tang1.JPG

cardinal2.JPG

Awesome!

Nice job on the fish pics. I have found fish to be VERY difficult to get in focus. Love the clowns in the leather. Very cool.

I dig the way you scaped the tank. It allows the fish to swim away and towards you, rather than just left to right and right to left. That mystery wrasse looks much bigger in person!

Kmooresf said:
Awesome!

Nice job on the fish pics. I have found fish to be VERY difficult to get in focus. Love the clowns in the leather. Very cool.

Yes, a real pain. But with digital cameras, click away like crazy, and out of 50+, you get 1 or two.

I am glad my clowns like my leather. An anemone is sweet, but such a hassle if they move, so I
did not really want one in the tank.

Kensington Reefer said:
I dig the way you scaped the tank. It allows the fish to swim away and towards you, rather than just left to right and right to left. That mystery wrasse looks much bigger in person!

I originally did the island/pillar like design more for the coral. It allows you to let softies completely
encrust a given pillar, and not spread or fight beyond that.
But yes, fish like it. Plus I added some cave like areas.
The big downside is that getting decent flow down in those areas is really tricky.

bondolo said:
It was great to see your tank (and additional gear) in person on Thursday. Sorry to have missed the new fish.
Yep, fun here also. Feel free to drop by if you are in town again. Hopefully the rest of the new fish will be out of hiding.

Time to upgrade the sump.
(I expect this to take forever, like all tank projects)
The problem with my current sump .... Boring big empty box.
Oh, and it is deep and hard to clean the bottom - yeah, that is the official reason.

The new sump system will have two tanks.
One tank is for filtration. Skimmer, scrubber, carbon, etc.
The second tank is a refugium.
And by that, a more true sense of the word, not a spot for macro algae filtration.
Macros tend to die quick in scrubber based systems.

For the second tank, the first part is sort of a frag tank and pod growing area.
Not sure how that combo will work. Thoughts??
The second section I have not figured out yet.
IDEAS ON FUN STUFF ????

Advice welcome.

new_sump.jpg

Back