High Tide Aquatics

Rygh's 250 gallon upgrade

But you will. Patience is a virtue and will be rewarded in time with your best tank to date! I know you know, just a little positive reinforcement

All your hard work will make it ever more rewarding once it's all done. I will definitely be watching to see how the turf scrubing works out in the long run. It's a great idea that I have heard bounced around for many years.

Nice to have the support.

Regarding ATS: I have been running a turf scrubber in my current 75 gallon tank for over a year.
Mixed results, meaning zero measurable nitrates and phosphates, but still hair and bubble algae issues.
I know what I did wrong though. Horizontal scrubbers are not as efficient because algae cannot grow in 3 dimensions easily.
New ones will be vertical. I am looking forward to see how those work as well.

I frequent a web forum based in Mexico and Turf Scrubbers are a must; people swear by them. Are very popular due to economics playing a big part there; not everyone has big bucks to pay for equipment that has to be shipped from the USA; not to mention companies there inflate the price plus shipping cost is expensive.

Ian posted something like "Upgrade" and the word "Soon" but soon this hobby means take your time and plan well I guess.
Took me two years to go from 46 to 90 and Jim (gimmito) needs to place a banner outside his place "Grand Opening Soon" and a cool neon sign "Aquarium"

Decent progress today. Mostly....

Last I will see of this wall for a long time!
Note the extra insulation on tank, and plastic on wall to protect against moisture.
Also, you can see the holes where all the pipes go to the garage.

From Aquarium_Release

Six of the 8 returns. These are the low pressure gravity fed ones, from turf scrubbers. (300 gph each)
There will be 2 more pressure ones, with flow accelerators. But not done yet.

From Aquarium_Release

Measure once, cut twice. Add pipe, cut again, measure again, cut again. ARGH
Bit of a screwup. Nothing a bit of extra pipe can't fix. But of course, ran out of couplers.

This shows one of the main drains, and 3 of the returns. Spacing will be even, once connected. See oops above.

From Aquarium_Release

Here is the new overflow screen. Need a bit more paint, but otherwise done.
Pretty happy. Basically, there is a flat overflow, 6" x 6".
The screen (simple PVC gutter screen) comes out at 45 degrees, from about 1" below the overflow.
So lots of flow, nice flat overflow, with a pretty good screen to keep the critters out.
Also, the screen pops out for easy cleaning.

From Aquarium_Release

xcaret said:
Took me two years to go from 46 to 90 and Jim (gimmito) needs to place a banner outside his place "Grand Opening Soon" and a cool neon sign "Aquarium"

Hey Mario...what do think...neon blue or red for the signs ? lol.

That is sweet, Jim has competition now !

Put your bets on the table, who's going to get water in first?

Rygh, what kind of flow accelerators, eductors/penductors?

Jim, I'll post answer on the neon on your tank thread...

Interior plumbing done!!!

Doing the Tequila-Happy-Dance! :party:
(And if you have to ask, you can't handle it)

Basically, the plumbing inside the house is about 99% done. I still have to order flow accelerators, but all pipes are done.
The garage (fish room) is a different story. Pretty much a bunch of pipes sticking out of the wall.

Plumbing details, from left to right:
1) Overflow #1. 6" x 6" overflow, gravity fed, through 1.5" pipe. 500 GPH.
2) Intake for Turf Scrubber #1, suction fed, through 1.25" pipe. 1000 GPH.
3) Return from Scrubber #2, gravity fed, through 1.5" pipe, split to 3 x 1" open returns. 1000 GPH.
4) Return from sump, pressure fed, through 1.25" pipe, split to 2 x 1" pipe, to 2 x 3/4" flow accelerators. 1000 GPH.
5) Return from Scrubber #1, gravity fed, through 1.5" pipe, split to 3 x 1" open returns. 1000 GPH.
6) Intake for Turf Scrubber #2, suction fed, through 1.25" pipe. 1000 GPH.
7) Overflow #2. 6" x 6" overflow, gravity fed, through 1.5" pipe. 500 GPH.

That was a lot of pipe. Glad PVC is cheap.

I have these, 1" MTP
I'm not familiar with flow accelerators, wanted to try them on the 70G tank but did not happen, kind of wanted to use the Omniflex returns from Oceans Motions but some of them come apart; ended installing Lockline 3/4 on that dry tank.
My brother had the ones you linked to but don't know what happened to them and if he liked those; probably they are buried in the basement.

P1030683.jpg

I am attempting a technical discussion after a bit too much celebrating, but here goes:
What you show has a wide flare, which means that the inner flow does not mix as well with the
outer (inducted) flow. Nothing really wrong with that, other than you get a thinner higher speed result.
(Yes, a bit counter-intuitive, getting a thinner higher speed flow with wider nozzle)
I am looking more for a lower speed, wider flow, so probably stick with a thinner nozzle.

That said, there is a serious lack of specs on these things. So a bit hit-or-miss.

There is a real chance I will skip it, and simply have a 90-deg elbow return.
Often, minimizing the restriction on the pump is simply the best thing to do.

Ventilation system nearing completion!
Just a small missing segment and a plate on the bottom of the fan.

Here is the top vent inside. This takes in the hot air from the lights, through a 4" duct in the wall.

From Aquarium_Release

Here is the tank vent inside. This will be connected to the top of the tank, such that it pulls moist air
out. So tank will essentially be slightly negative pressure, with low flow from left to right across top of tank.
This should keep all humidity out of living room, and decrease salt creep and other issues.
Concern with mold and rust in the ducting though, so need to check that.

From Aquarium_Release

Here are those two ducts going down inside the wall. That was a pain!
Those 2 4" ducts get combined in a box to a 6" duct.

Here is the 6" duct coming out of the wall into the garage.
Note the special firestop section, that automatically closes in case of fire.

From Aquarium_Release

Here is the fan. I will connect above duct to a plate on the bottom of the fan.

From Aquarium_Release

And of course, fan going across roof of garage, out through new hole in the house!
Never easy - where I wanted to go, I had an electrical line, and a PVC pipe that is the drain
from the air conditioner. Of all the gaps between studs to pick...
tjLnGvZ5g75Y5vMj7izQyufM?feat=embedwebsite">
vent1.jpg

From Aquarium_Release

And finally the outside. Bit of a pain to cut a 6" hole in stucco+plywood.

sfsuphysics said:
I'd put a proper collar/clamp on that duct work to your vent pipe, the duct tape really isn't very useful on ducts ironically :)
There are clamps on the other 4" ducts. But no 6" clamps at OSH.
I will probably use sheet metal screws.
With no heat, and quality tape, I would expect the duct tape to hold for quite a while though.

Back