got ethical husbandry?

Salifert vs Aquaspin...crazy Alk differences

Galoot

Supporting Member
So I was at AC the other day and had them run my water with the Aquaspin. Figured it would be intresting to see how close it was to my own testing. Well, Ca and Mg were close enough, but Alk was way different. My Salifert testing shows 8.3-8.6 over the last few weeks. Aquaspin said 12.156!!! I then had them do a salifert test in the shop. it showed 12 as well! I was like, "WHAT THE..." So then I figured my test kit might be bad. Bought a new one, came home, tested the water....8.3. Now I don't know what to think. I've dbl and triple checked how I do the test. Just checked again right now, got a 8.6 reading.
pH 8.3 Aqua spin 8.0 Apex probe
Ca 420 Aqua spin and 440 API
Mg 1078 Aqua spin and Salifert 1140

What do you all think...other than Mg is low =)

Maybe it was something to do with that specific water sample? Maybe the sample you took was taken with a pipette you use to dispense kalkwasser, or that sample was just contaminated somehow (it wouldn't take much to contaminate a small sample). That would make the most sense to me.

I had the same result on my Alk from them, my Hannah is around 8ish and spin is 10+. I had a fellow reefer close by and help verified it’s around 8. Am not trusting the spin results or maybe human error. I suggest getting a fellow reefer to help verify.

I filled a 30cc syringe with tank water. There is the possibility it had residue. I flushed it multiple times. But I guess it could of been the issue. I can't image anything else making sense

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

If you’re around Fremont/ Newark area. I’ll be happy to test it with Hanna checker alk for verification I believe Hanna is the most accurate test kit out there.

Back