Cali Kid Corals

Salt mixes tested

Summary

salt.jpg

Check out seachem number though ... I got a bucket of that when DR foster and smith replaced my bad RC salt ... I bad a bunch of buckets but only asked for 1 to try out.

I also got a bag of Tunze salt coming to try out, Tunze was cool enough to give me a free bag.

It's a difficult call with all the SGs all over the place, in fact notice none of them are at NSW levels. I've never been happy with Coralife. I bought a couple of buckets to try it out a while back, and the inverts (mostly coral) didn't like it. I know it's purely anecdotal, but I wound up using it in FO tanks which I don't service too many of, so it hung around for a while.

I like the SeaChem Reef, and for my tank Tropic Marin, again purely anecdotal so take it as a bunch of blathering on my part. My tank seems to do the best with TM, and my customers tanks do just as well with SeaChem Reef since there is very little supplementation going on in those instances. I will say I've been using TM for at least 15 years now, and that is most likely why I'm partial to it.

There are a lot of things apparently problematic with this data, so take it with a grain of salt. :D

My take on the whole thing is that all the salts are really pretty equal, and you are going to have to supplement any of them. So, find one that you can always get, that is consistent, and get in a groove. :D

[quote author=Thales link=topic=3045.msg33692#msg33692 date=1203048570]
There are a lot of things apparently problematic with this data, so take it with a grain of salt. :D

My take on the whole thing is that all the salts are really pretty equal, and you are going to have to supplement any of them. So, find one that you can always get, that is consistent, and get in a groove. :D
[/quote]

I agree with this completely. More people run into more problems switching salt as a knee jerk response to the " latest data" than those that just keep doing what works for them . It is also curious that each significant salt study has yielded wildly different and often conflicting "winners". What I think can be fairly said is that none of the salts resemble natural sea water particularly closely, and most seem to vary quite a bit from batch to batch. That said, most will probably work just fine.

Actually, the only study whose results I trust based the competence of the execution is the old Bingman/Atkinson study and sadly that is too old to be of much use. Me? I'm sticking with IO as it has worked well for me for nearly 15years.

[quote author=prattreef link=topic=3045.msg33696#msg33696 date=1203049440]
[quote author=Thales link=topic=3045.msg33692#msg33692 date=1203048570]

[/quote]

I agree with this completely. More people run into more problems switching salt as a knee jerk response to the " latest data" than those that just keep doing what works for them . It is also curious that each significant salt study has yielded wildly different and often conflicting "winners". What I think can be fairly said is that none of the salts resemble natural sea water particularly closely, and most seem to vary quite a bit from batch to batch. That said, most will probably work just fine.

Actually, the only study whose results I trust based on the competence of the execution is the old Bingman/Atkinson study and sadly that is too old to be of much use. Me? I'm sticking with IO as it has worked well for me for nearly 15years.
[/quote]

Back