Kessil

Sand Sifter died /cry

Hi all,

This is my first post here and unfortunately, it is a sad one. My sand sifter died this AM. I noticed that someone/thing had chewed his tail so I moved him out of the main tank and into a quarantine tank, but it was already too late for him. I am wondering if anyone could have any clues as to what chewed him.

I have a small reef tank with only two green chromis, two dominos, a clown, a handful of emerald crabs and snails(pretty sure my xenias can't chew him ).

I need something to help clean up the sand, but I don't want to lose another fish. Can anyone recommend another critter to help out?

Thank you....

BTW - Someone chewed him before I transferred him. His tail fin was gone and his tail was red :(

most likely a Valenciannea puellaris (orangespotted sleeper goby)

Sounds like he was ailling and a mithrax (emarald crab) got ahold of him.

[quote author=otterpop510 link=topic=1923.msg18548#msg18548 date=1176222754]
orange diamond goby? maybe google and see if pic fits..
[/quote]

Another name for what I said ;) A huge reason why I try to use latin names first, and commons last.

yeah.. and you posted 30 seconds ahead of me too.. don't think i could have pulled the latin name for that out if you gave me the rest of the week.. ;D

Books by the computer always help. I have nearly every hobbyist book and TONS of field guides at my finger tips :)

And they don't heat your lap up when your on the can :)

Ever try searching for a fish by picture on the internet to find a name? It's far quicker for me to thumb thru my books, plus they can go any plae with me (like to the LFS).

Far from it. I never leave home with out my laptop, I have several digital cameras, and on and on. I'm a techy gearhore thru and thru. If you saw the reef tanks I used to work on, the amount of technology that went into them was jaw dropping. Fully computer operated surge tanks :) All the software and hardware where designed inhouse :)

But if you feel the need, just call me Ned :D

DOWN WITH THE POWER LOOM!!!!!

(thanks google, I don't have a dictionary in my book collection :) )

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=1923.msg18632#msg18632 date=1176358478]
And they don't heat your lap up when your on the can :)[/quote]
Yah, but that's the only time I ever get anything hot in my lap :D

No McDonald's coffee jokes please :D

Charles, you gotta see Gresham's custom reef controller. It's scary :D

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=1923.msg18632#msg18632 date=1176358478]
And they don't heat your lap up when your on the can :)

Ever try searching for a fish by picture on the internet to find a name? It's far quicker for me to thumb thru my books, plus they can go any plae with me (like to the LFS).
[/quote]

That's what the top of the hamper is for ;D

Back