High Tide Aquatics

Seminolecpa's 180G upgrade

The canopy or the leak issue? I think after several hours of sitting and watching the pipe (good times) it may just be the bulkhead. I will tighten it down just a tad and hopefully that will solve it.

Odd since the threads of the bulkhead seemed dry. Maybe try folding a paper towel into a strip and wrapping it around the threads only you can hold it in place with wireties (I'm sure you have some of those lying around :D)

Umm.... where did my post go? I replied before Jeremy :(

Bryan, the canopy issue (pic). I bet the leak will stop with a quarter turn and some time.

Oh, the canopy. The overflow sets the water level to about 1" below the canopy (ie, you see the water line with the canopy on). The canopy needs to be modified to drop down about 1.5"

Picture069.jpg

Will do. Will post them up later today. Pretty sure it is an easy fix. Just need to trim down the braces and cut the back to clear the overflows maybe 2" and all should be good. I am going to bring it down to Max's next week.

That's a odd mistake. I would have figured Max and Chris would have measured the OF water height. I'm religious about that one :) IT has to be at least a half inch lower on my tanks to allow for any ripples. I hate seeing light come out of that area, I just want water to be seen.

As Bryan said, it can be fixed without major changes. Pop off the 7 brad nailed supports and trim them down 1.5". Then get a router to the back to adjust for the overflow clearance since the hood will now sit into the canopy. Should be 30minute fix assuming the braces aren't brad nailed AND glued, and router is on hand (can probably be jig sawed as well)

Yup, that I knew all to well Tony...done it for several people over the years :) Usually only on a commercially made unit though, not a custom job :)

Don't doubt the power of Chris and his ability to glue :lol:

Gonna be a good thing anyway. When I measured the hood to open I didn't account for the crown so it needs another 2" to clear the roof. Cutting the braces will solve both problems.

I think the water height was taken into account based on a MUCH higher turnover rate. How deep the overflow slots are cut, and having two 2" bulkheads for each overflow box indicates someone had a real high turnover compared to Bryan (and most folks nowadays), it could easily push the water level op near an inch. Bryan is just pushing up a 1/4" with a pretty slow turnover.

Why so? Didn't tehy ahve the pump on hand? Did they think a Sequence 5800 was going to be used :)

The bulkhead size doesn't matter unless it backs up. I use the bottom of the OF as my waterline judge. My tanks almost always push a 1/4 to a half inch above that so planning on it being the water line gives me some wiggle room.

I'll tell you this in person in a bit, but I would pull those white fittings in the tank and paint them black (krylon) or find black fittings. :D

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=5363.msg75579#msg75579 date=1232388313]
Why so? Didn't tehy ahve the pump on hand? Did they think a Sequence 5800 was going to be used :)

The bulkhead size doesn't matter unless it backs up. I use the bottom of the OF as my waterline judge. My tanks almost always push a 1/4 to a half inch above that so planning on it being the water line gives me some wiggle room.
[/quote]

I hear you Gresham, I was just trying to come with the reasoning as to why the canopy would sit that high, Chris must have his reasons, no? He knows what he's doing I hope.

Those overflow boxes can handle a TON of flow which would push the water level up much more than is it being pushed currently.

Standard for what, a standard AG overflow? Custom dealies require custom measures :p

Back