Our mission

Should I give frags away as DBTC or Pay it forward?

dochou

Supporting Member
I have some common frags of corals to give away. They are not rare but all are cool.
I tried to give a way some things on DBTC in the past and no one responded.
That's why I'm asking if I should just give them away with no stings attached.
What do you people think?

Both options are very nice to do and will be appreciated. If it is important to you to be able to have some control over what people do with them after they grow out your frags, for example to be able to get a frag back if your colony dies, and exclude people from selling future frags of it without giving back first, then DBTC is best. If you prefer no-strings-attached giving, then PIF is best.

So it is really just your personal choice and attitude.

Because of the extra strings attached in DBTC, they are usually rarer or more expensive corals, but not always.

Both are very generous! I think if it is a coral that you would like a backup of in case of a tank crash DBTC is the way to go

If I understand you, you received frags via someone’s DBTC, but are unable to give back to the DBTC because there are no takers after you’ve tried? You should refer to the DBTC rules for that thread and maybe ask the original contributor for the DBTC.

I don’t recall any DBTC chains that say you can’t give away frags, the restrictions I’ve seen are on selling them before you’ve given back to the chain.

If I understand you, you received frags via someone’s DBTC, but are unable to give back to the DBTC because there are no takers after you’ve tried? You should refer to the DBTC rules for that thread and maybe ask the original contributor for the DBTC.

I don’t recall any DBTC chains that say you can’t give away frags, the restrictions I’ve seen are on selling them before you’ve given back to the chain.
Yep, some common frags and not too common but there are no takers.

Wow very surprised about that. Maybe you should give those threads a bump. They can get lost through all our activity

Unfortunately, it is hard to tell with DBTC threads if there are corals left or not.
Usually, there is a rush, corals are gone quick.
But if not, or even if site is pretty busy, the thread get buried, and people assume they are gone.

My suggestion would be to bump your thread with how many are left.
And add a new picture, always helpful.

But either way is fine.
You can also save up and bring them to the next swap, and put on freebie table.

Well I didn't get the frags from DBTC. I acuired them by other means and grew them out.
I'm just not sure which is the best way to get them out to members.

Also, for me, I've seen many frags on DBTC that I'd like but the person giving it away lives in the far North bay or far East Bay and it's not worth it for me to go that far.
I imagine that distance is also a concern for many people.

There is no single best way. Your corals, so you get to pick.

- DBTC if you want some control over them and don’t mind the extra complexity
- PIF if you just want to share them now, no strings
- Frag swap if you want to share them with no strings and can wait for it

Frag swaps are good when you have too many for sure.
Dbtc is really cool if you believe in the program and like the idea of it.
It can be hard to get people to pick up frags, harder than I would have thought at first, but like you say, at this point I wouldn’t drive too far for almost any coral really.
The best way for dbtc is like others said, bump the threads for the chains a week or two ahead of events you are going to attend with info about availability. Pics are a great way to do it.
It can seem like certain corals are too common or whatever. Maybe there is even and old (likely inactive) chain for that coral. So what? Start a new one. There are always people that will like the coral, you did, and probably still do, right? Always new people. Even if they don’t stick around, If its a common coral you don’t care that much about then nothing lost anyways.

Agree with the above. Giving out multiple corals might tempt some people to make it worth their while. I’ve done that in the past and it seems to get more bites.

Back