Cali Kid Corals

Skeeters in my rock curing tubs! Help!

How do I get rid of those nasty squirming mosquito larva in the curing tubs without contaminating the rocks? If I use mosquito dunks, will that poison the rocks somehow? Should I put dish soap in there or something? Salt?

Curing can
1) remove bulk organics and build reef specific bacteria
2) remove bulk organics and build FW bacteria which will die off in SW.

Do #1 by curing in old tank salt water, and remove the issues with mosquitoes :-D

Why are you curing your rock in freshwater... as soon so you put it in saltwater you'll have another die off and cycle... counter productive and gives you issues like your having.

If this is for freshwater use, you can use guppies. They are cheaper than Mosquito Fish and they love mosquitoes, plus they can live in really cold temperatures. If this is for saltwater use, you shouldn't be curing in freshwater as others have said. It makes no sense.

The only reason it could make some sense to use freshwater to cure rocks that were intended to go in a saltwater tank would be if they were homemade/DIY concrete in composition.

i too suggest a salt water curing process... promotes usable bacteria that doesn't die off when the rocks are introduced back into your tank. plus the salt content will kill off any larvae you have from mosquitoes

Back