Kessil

Skimmer decision

Super Reef Octopus XP-3000sss Internal Protein Skimmer rated up to 300G
Super Reef Octopus 3000SSS SRO-3000SSS
Super Reef Octopus XP-2000 Internal Protein Skimmer rated up to 120 heavy stocked to 180 moderate stocked
ES-PSK-300RATED 200-300g
ATI PowerCone 200 RATED 100-250g
Bubble Magus BM180Cone Protein Skimmer
ATB Econo Cone 840 Revision 2.0
Protein Skimmer

Looking into some new skimmers and listed are what i have to choose from. Estimated WV for current project is maybe 120-130G. Some of these skimmers are rated for well over that amount but I tend to feed heavy and like to keep a well stocked tank. anyone have experience with any of these skimmers? Low power usage and space saving is what i need which is why these are on the list.

Gresham once recommended Warner Marine but cant seem to find a dealer for it.

look at the pump supplied with the skimmer for power savings, while some skimmers of old would have rather beefy pumps on them, a lot of the newer ones use pumps that are quite efficient, Sicce, Bubbleblaster, etc.

Of the ones you listed eShopps and BubbleMagus are going to be your lower end cheap models, fine if you want to save a buck...

If I was to change skimmers, I'd look into the newest ATI, they have a controllable flow pump.
Don't know if are available in the US market yet.
Also, as Mike points, Laguna based skimmer pumps are sweet

In the last week or so, I did some similar research.
I ended up ordering a Super Reef Octopus 3000 internal with bubble blaster pump.
Seemed like a good tradeoff on cost / performance / quality.
$400, capable of 300G, 1200 lph of air at 40 watts, good reviews.

All of that was from research though. No direct experience, and I am not a skimmer expert by any means.

If I was purchasing a skimmer I'd go with the Super Reef Octopus XP-3000sss Internal Protein Skimmer. Skimmers with the Bubble Blaster and Askoll pumps seem like the good ones today.

Minor note on the octopus:
There are 3 internal versions. Standard ($400), Space saver SSS ($440), and XP ($560)
And of course, some external ones as well.
The space saver puts the pump underneath the body.
The XP is a true funnel skimmer, and possibly slightly higher volume.

Nothing like making a hard decision even harder.

So far The the super reef octopus XP-3000SSS, ATI Powercone and ATB are my top 3 choices. Looking to spend between $400-$600 max. The ATI looks freaking sweet but the PSK pump im kinda hesitant on. I have the older model BM160 with the PSK2500 and I have always had start up issues with it. When I had the mesh wheel i would have to blow air into the intake to get it started and then I switched to the large NW early last year and now I have to completly pull the skimmer out and bang the bottom to get it to start. If i remember right, the new ATI comes with the same pump.

I like the fact the reef octopus has the pump in the chamber saving space in the sump, but space shouldnt be a problem since my new sump is a lot bigger than my current one.

I know I am personally looking at the 5000sss for my tank when I get it setup... But that's my personal opinion... I've read several reviews praising Reef Octopus and the Bubble Blaster pumps...

Now I just need to find a vendor that sells them, I believe Neptune carries the brand, but their website doesn't show them with the actual sss models...

Check with Tec at Blue Ocean if you're interested on a ATB skimmer....I used to have one FS and it was just well within your pricepoint :)

melly mel said:
I like the fact the reef octopus has the pump in the chamber saving space in the sump, but space shouldnt be a problem since my new sump is a lot bigger than my current one.
Then consider the standard model instead of the SSS.
No sense in paying more, losing volume in the reaction chamber, and making it harder to clean,
if you do not have a space issue.

rygh said:
melly mel said:
Then consider the standard model instead of the SSS.
No sense in paying more, losing volume in the reaction chamber, and making it harder to clean,
if you do not have a space issue.

Good Point.

Back