Our mission

Skimmer Pump Issues...

Hey everyone,

So I have an older Euroreef Skimmer and it does what I'd consider a good job... while I do admit my NAC7 on the other tank is nicer, it wasn't nice enough for me to replace this one. Anyways lately the pump has had a hard time starting up... as in there is no water flow. I was able to get it to work a few times by unplugging/plugging it in. Then the other day we had a few planned power outages and I have been unable to get it to start at all... even after messing with it for 30 minutes.

Now is it safe to assume all I need is a new impeller or do I need a whole new pump?

If I need a new pump I am also highly considering upgrading the whole skimmer...
Roughly a 150g system light bioload, any recommendations?

Can you get impeller out? What Erin said. If it looks lumpy or bumpy or rusty then replace it. Likely all you need, and only like $40/50. Aquatic collection carries them.

The impeller does come out, it's not "that" lumpy though. I can't find any cracks on it, although it is rough.

IMG_20140315_153939.jpg

More just swollen and rough. If you compare to a new one you will see a difference I think. Probably will solve your issue to replace. How old is it? They rarely last more than 2 yrs for me

+2 on the swollen bit. While you could probably get it to work (maybe with some fidgeting) it will fail eventually and the last thing you want it to do is swell completely where it gets stuck in the pump.

More just swollen and rough. If you compare to a new one you will see a difference I think. Probably will solve your issue to replace. How old is it? They rarely last more than 2 yrs for me
Not sure how old it is, I bought it off a person on CL, and have been running it for 6 months. It's pretty old I'm sure.

Where you at, I found an impeller

I'm in Milpitas, but honestly no worries as I have family in town and can't get anywhere further than a few cities until next weekend anyways... will probably just order one online and hopefully have it by Tuesday. Really appreciate the offer though. Although I would love to come by and check out your system some day... I've heard wonderful things!

+2 on the swollen bit. While you could probably get it to work (maybe with some fidgeting) it will fail eventually and the last thing you want it to do is swell completely where it gets stuck in the pump.
Def would not want it stuck, so yeah probably better that it won't. start.

Consider buying a cheaper regular impeller and then sticking the needle wheels shaft into it. I believe the needle wheel ones are a bit more expensive and your looks ok. If not don't throw it away, keep it in case the new one loses some teeth.

Well I bought a new impeller and it will be here tomorrow. I'm hopeful it works... I'll be sure to keep the needle wheel though.

Back