got ethical husbandry?

Snorkeling on the Big Island of Hawaii

SupraSaltyReefer

Supporting Member
I was on the Big Island this past weekend. Had a fun time snorkeling at Kahalu’u Beach Park which is great for beginners. Saw a bunch of Yellow tangs and other fishes as well. Highly recommended for anyone wanting to experience swimming with our little friends in the wild.

***Change setting to 4K so video is not blurry.***

Awww man I miss that so much, never been to the Big Island, I have been to Maui and Kauai. It has been probably 10 years too, but I never really saw yellow tangs that close, did see some at larger depths, plenty of those stripped ones (Sergent majors?) which if memory serves were not native to there (but they are now), also lots of orange shoulder tangs and unicorn tangs big MFers too like it felt like they could gut me in the water with their tail spines.

Awesome! I was there in July at the captain cook monument. So many tangs!!
Gerry

Check out this school of Moorish Idols I saw at Two Step as well. It was crazy to see them in such shallow waters.
14F222A5-D1D5-42DF-B20C-52523F45C2FF.jpeg

Awww man I miss that so much, never been to the Big Island, I have been to Maui and Kauai. It has been probably 10 years too, but I never really saw yellow tangs that close, did see some at larger depths, plenty of those stripped ones (Sergent majors?) which if memory serves were not native to there (but they are now), also lots of orange shoulder tangs and unicorn tangs big MFers too like it felt like they could gut me in the water with their tail spines.
I’ve been told Big Island has the most Yellow tangs. I didn’t see any when I was snorkeling at Sharks Cove on Oahu. Every tang was the size of dinner plates. It was nice to see them in their natural environment.

So all that rock is basically lava run off? And I guess algae grows which feeds the tangs and other herbivores?
Yes, you're correct.
I love snorkling on all of the islands in HI but the Big Island seems to have the most yellow tangs. Shark's Cove has a ton of Achilles tangs! None of the fish seem to mind humans.

Yes, you're correct.
I love snorkling on all of the islands in HI but the Big Island seems to have the most yellow tangs. Shark's Cove has a ton of Achilles tangs! None of the fish seem to mind humans.
Ohh wow I missed the Achilles tangs?! Which part of Shark’s Cove do they hang around? So sad. Would’ve been nice to see them in the wild too.

Yes, we always come to Kahalu'u Beach Park on Ali'i drive south of Kona.
Great snorkel place for kids too with big turtles, a lot of yellow tangs, convict tangs, yellowtail coris,..

It’s great for reefers to see how fat these tangs get in the wild when they can eat as much as they want. I’m surprised they were in such shallow water. Maybe just my yellow tang is afraid to go within a foot of the water surface.

Check out this school of Moorish Idols I saw at Two Step as well. It was crazy to see them in such shallow waters.
So cool! We snorkeled at Two Step last summer as well and I was amazed at the large yellow tangs that were hanging out in tide pools with maybe 6"-12" of water in them. Love the Big Island.

If you go early in the morning at Two Step and head to the right (deeper water side), you can swim with a pod of dolphins who have come in from a night of hunting and are just chillin’ in the cove

Back