Cali Kid Corals

Snow Tires question.

Hello all
I was given a pair of studded snow tires mounted on regular steel wheels that fit my Civic.
Being a front wheel drive cat and knowing snow cables/chains are to be installed only on the wheels that have traction, I was pointed out (can't remember by whom) that I need studded tires in all four. The person that gave me the set said he used them on his Acura (front wheel drive).
We're not snow people but do enjoy a day or two up in the sierra and if I can use these tires, that makes a difference since I can avoid freezing my fingers. I would still carry snow cables with me just to be safe.

Thx

Studded tires will wear the roads, wear the studs and be really noisy if you aren't driving on ice. They are a specific tool for very icy conditions. I have only heard of studs being used in places where it freezes over for the winter and does not have plowed roads. 99.9% of the time here, I would choose snow tires over studs even given unlimited budget. On my Subaru, I run a dedicated set of wheels with Blizzaks snow tires for the weekends I go to Tahoe, then swap my wheels back to my summer/performance tire when I am done. A jack and an impact gun are relatively affordable and swapping wheels gets to be very easy. All wheel drive and snow tires will get you through chain control without chains through most storms. Snow tires give you about 1/2 the stopping distance that all weather (dws/dry wet snow) tires give you, which Caltrain still let drive without chains through storms.

I've seen vehicles with studded tires here in SF many times; the noise gives them up.
There are legal calendar dates in some states/towns where they are legal to be used; of course during the winter. When in Oregon, I’ve noticed plenty of vehicles with studded tires. Sometimes I’ve been tempted to buy a set of wheels and winter tires but we are not winter sports people.
I just wonder if I could just use the tires, the one pair on mi Civic since it's front wheel drive.
I was just informed, perhaps misled that I needed four studded if I had intention on using them. I'm aware the traction devices, being chains, cables and others, have to be installed on the tires that have the traction; for rear wheel drive, on the back wheels; front wheel drive, front wheels; awd, all tires (unless these are exempted by posted signs and having proper tires).
Few years back went to Tahoe during the winter for a couple days in the snow with my family; got my cables on the tires but after a few miles, I had to take them off and then again put them back on due to the streets being frozen. It would have been nice to have proper tires and not use the cables on and then off.

This page has some good info. I love my snow tires and would have to have a very good reason to not run them on Tahoe trips. My advice would be to pick up a used set of snow tires on wheels that fit your car and start playing with them this year. I know lots of CA mountain sport people and none of them run studs. Frankly, I would worry about skidding and wrecking on the way to Tahoe if I had studs as they make very poor traction with the dry or wet road. As they say in this article, look at the motorsports world for inspiration. The rally teams only run studs when the entire course is hard pack snow and ice. If there is any dry or slush, they go with a very aggressive tread and let the snow tires do what they do best.

This thread now has me thinking I need to get a set of snow tires too.

Probably get some used alloys to throw them on. Or better yet, get new daily shoes and used current set for winter use.... hrmmmm.... *wheels spinning * (no pun intended -- lol)

This thread now has me thinking I need to get a set of snow tires too.

Probably get some used alloys to throw them on. Or better yet, get new daily shoes and used current set for winter use.... hrmmmm.... *wheels spinning * (no pun intended -- lol)
...of course this assumes that my new front differential actually gets here... cuz FedEx!

no need, your car goes anywhere with stock tires, I did once in knee deep snow to Tahoe and went up a house on a hill where everyone else failed.
That i am not really worried about...very confident in they road handling...esp with ice/snow mode. just more concerned about whether Caltrans will let me pass at inspection points if chains are required. Don't wanna deal with chains.

That i am not really worried about...very confident in they road handling...esp with ice/snow mode. just more concerned about whether Caltrans will let me pass at inspection points if chains are required. Don't wanna deal with chains.
If you have 4 or all wheel drive and snow tires (they usually let DWS tires through since the "S" means snow) then chains are not needed except for the most extreme storms

If you have 4 or all wheel drive and snow tires (they usually let DWS tires through since the "S" means snow) then chains are not needed except for the most extreme storms
Yup. Why was thinking of grabbing a set of extra wheels and snow tires to throw on for snow season. I have a 4WD but not the tires to pass chain control.

I have all season M+S at the moment.

Figured earn extra brownie points with snow tires by saving the wife from having to attempt chains when she goes up to Tahoe by herself. :)

Found remanufactured wheel sets for reasonable costs ($150 each). Tempted to grab new looks but at same time, maybe just grab same designs as what's on my car... if I bust one, easy backup. Lol

Yup. Why was thinking of grabbing a set of extra wheels and snow tires to throw on for snow season. I have a 4WD but not the tires to pass chain control.

I have all season M+S at the moment.

Figured earn extra brownie points with snow tires by saving the wife from having to attempt chains when she goes up to Tahoe by herself. :)

Found remanufactured wheel sets for reasonable costs ($150 each). Tempted to grab new looks but at same time, maybe just grab same designs as what's on my car... if I bust one, easy backup. Lol
Oops. Read up some more and looks like M+S will pass mustard with AWD, technically.

I run Pirelli scorpions which is suppose to have excellent snow grip and stopping. Just remembered that was one of the things I looked for when i was researching the tires.

That said, still leaning towards a set of true winter tires for safety reasons with kid in tow or wife driving alone. Small price for peace of mind.

As a heads - up, Yosemite National Park had different rules than CalTrans. You had to have chains in the car during winter conditions regardless of what kind of car or rubber you were riding. The rangers would ask to see them, and I had friends in 4WD's with M+S who were ejected for not having them. I carried a set in my Discovery just for that reason. Never even opened the bag.
It's been a few years, and perhaps NPS has become more reasonable.

On the way to Tahoe, Caltrans has asked to see my chains too in my AWD w/ snow tire vehicle, in case the road gets bad and you need to be able to get out.

I have gone winter camping many times in Yosemite, and have never been even asked if I had chains.
Although I have used them a couple of times.

It all depends on what your drive and where you go.
Simple highway-80: A decent AWD with all-terrains will get you there. No chains, no studs.
Back side roads, campsites, high passes not plowed, I would not trust studded tires.
cmpr.jpeg

Being a front wheel drive cat and knowing snow cables/chains are to be installed only on the wheels that have traction,

The chains help give you traction. "Traction" does not mean "moves you forward". You need them on all four tires because you need all four tires for braking.

Also regardless of whether you need chains to pass chain control, you'll WANT them in case you get stuck somewhere. Also bring a shovel.

The chains help give you traction. "Traction" does not mean "moves you forward". You need them on all four tires because you need all four tires for braking.

Also regardless of whether you need chains to pass chain control, you'll WANT them in case you get stuck somewhere. Also bring a shovel.
The first time I used them, an officer guided me on how to and he was very clear not to use them in all four tires (I had two sets) in front wheel drive vehicles.
Front wheel drive, chains/cables on front wheels
Rear wheel drive, on rear wheels
All wheel drive, all four corners.

I’ve done it so ever since but is a bit annoying when you drive just a few miles with them on to just have to remove them and later and then back on. So I figured the pair I was given, I could use it while in the wintery roads. Maybe I can remove the studs and use them without them; the worst thing that can happen is I pull the cables out of the trunk and get my hands frozen.

On a November outing to Crater Lake NP, the road was frozen, no signs or chain control that we noticed and when we reached the crater, I noticed the road being like an ice rink. I had to have my family wear socks over their shoes so they could walk on the road and not slip.
That trip got me thinking I should get a set of snow tires even if it’s only for a couple days out in the snow.

Back