High Tide Aquatics

Some Refugium Questions (And a chaeto call)

I decided to start a refugium a little while back but it was less than a success. I got my hands on a chaeto and threw it in the sump with a Kessil H160 on the grow setting. I managed to grow algae...in the skimmer...while the chaeto turned brown and whittled away to nothing. So here are my questions:

1. What are some possible pitfalls I may have overlooked, or did I simply get unlucky? I put the chaeto into the refugium section of my redsea 350 sump with the 'fuge light on a 12 hour cycle opposite my display lights. Maybe I didn't have enough chaeto? Should it have been floating or gone straight to the bottom? I ask because I feel like most pictures or videos I see show it gently rolling around the surface but mine wanted to sink when I put it in.

2. What have others done to prevent light spillover? This way the light stays focused on the chaeto and not growing inside of the skimmer.

3. Does anyone have a chaeto harvest coming up? I bought algae barn the last time and don't feel like going through that again. I'm in Fairfield but come down to Livermore often enough. I'll also probably be in San Jose in a couple weeks time.

I couldn't get Chaeto to grow well and consistently for me until I started supplementing a trace element mix with iron in it. There are a number of products available to supplement if that's the issue. I can't help you with light spillover because I have a huge issue with it. I need to get busy creating some sort of light shield. I'm in San Ramon and have chaeto available but that's a bit far out of your way.

2. What have others done to prevent light spillover? This way the light stays focused on the chaeto and not growing inside of the skimmer.

Flexible HDPE sheets from TAP plastics.

https://www.tapplastics.com/product/plastics/plastic_sheets_rolls/hdpe_m_m_opaque/258

I use them in sump, external to sump, hanging, whatever is needed.

image.jpg

I could give you lots of chaeto anytime, I’m in Walnut Creek if that’s convenient.

It definitely doesn’t need to tumble, people just like to post that because it looks cool.

For light spillover another option is to make a little light hood and affix it to the light somehow. The closer you get it to the light source the smaller it can be and still get the job done of shading the rest of the sump.

I couldn't get Chaeto to grow well and consistently for me until I started supplementing a trace element mix with iron in it. There are a number of products available to supplement if that's the issue.
Did you have any specific products that you found to work better than another?

Did you have any specific products that you found to work better than another?
I didn't see much difference between the 2 I've used other than the difference between not using them at all. Seachem Reef Trace or Kent Essential Elements. I do like that the Kent doesn't need refrigeration.

I got a flexible black plastic around my skimmer, then the whole rest of the sump becomes a hair algae farm. It does make it relatively easy to scrape off the walls and throw out every week though. I have cheato in Sunnyvale.

So here's a refugium question. Figured I'd piggyback here instead of start a whole new thread. Right now I have a cheap Amazon grow light. I see kessil has many options for fuge lights. How do I know what one I want?

And grows plants. I have one of the waterproof cobb style lights and they work great. I keep thinking about the upgrade and coming to the conclusion that this is a place to not get the most expensive.

If I knew what I know now I would have skipped the Kessill and go with the tubular, submersible Tunze unit. My Kessill on a goose neck only lights up the top layers of my Chaeto so I am constantly turning it over.
cb5782396c33d68bec934faca730c297.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Back