High Tide Aquatics

some sort of white anemone looking thing just showed up in my nano!

hey all,

the past week i notice a white thing came out of my live rock and since then have moved around a little bit. it seems to be growing by the day. everytime i feed my fish ( pieces is mysid shrimp ) once some of the food goes near it, it grabs it and put it in its mouth. i dont know if its a good thing or a bad thing. if it is an anemone will my false perc clown host it once it gets big enough... oh yea the thing is clearish...

Most likely aiptasia, they can grow from nothing. Do not feed it or touch it. Get some blue life aiptasia control and kill that puppy. Google aiptasia first jic.

aptasia.jpg

Is that aiptasia in your picture Tony? I never had an issue with them or anything similar and from pictures I have seen on RC I thought they were brown.

I've seen them in brown, white and even in some shades of green. Then there are majano that are kinda brown and sometimes even have color on the mouth like a zoa.

thats exactly what it is as gomer posted... well so im guessing its a bad thing to have? will the clown host it if it gets big enough? if i need to get rid of it can i just pluck it off my live rock hahaahah ;D

It is a pest. get rid of it. THere are many aptasia solutions out there such as Joe's Juice. If you tried and plucked it off and left a bit of it behind, it would regrow. It also will retract into a hole or something as you get near it.

Back