Neptune Aquatics

spot feeding Lobophyllia? is it necessary?

I wanted to get a consensus on wether it is needed to spot feed Lobophyllia's. Can they get what they need out of the water column or do they need spot feeding?

They do not need to be target fed. I never ever fed mine, and it was healthy as any Lobophyllia could be. If you feed your tank with things like RN's Oyster Feast (not sure if this food in particular is the right particle size), or any other reef appropriate food, that should be fine. Really, Lobophyllia's rely heavily on their ability to photosynthesize to meet their carbon demands :) Actually a lot of common photosynthetic LPS in our aquaria do not "need" to be fed, so long as they have sufficient light, IMO. That said, target feeding once in a while [and for some every day] does not hurt, and can accelerate growth rates, though some more so than in others.

A_Lee said:
They do not need to be target fed. I never ever fed mine, and it was healthy as any Lobophyllia could be. If you feed your tank with things like RN's Oyster Feast (not sure if this food in particular is the right particle size), or any other reef appropriate food, that should be fine. Really, Lobophyllia's rely heavily on their ability to photosynthesize to meet their carbon demands :) Actually a lot of common photosynthetic LPS in our aquaria do not "need" to be fed, so long as they have sufficient light, IMO. That said, target feeding once in a while [and for some every day] does not hurt, and can accelerate growth rates, though some more so than in others.

+1

I end up spot feeding mine pieces of various food items (raw shrimp, clams, oysters, cyclopeze, arctipods etc.) once in a while after the lights are off and I see the tentacles out. If I don't feed he does just fine too.

A_Lee said:

I beg to differ and not only because I work for a feed manufacturer. Those that know me can tell you I have been pushing the same mantra way longer then I have worked at RMI.

If an animal does not meet it full energy budget from one source, that one source is not suitable to allow the animal to thrive, which we should all strive for with ANY livestock we keep, not just corals. The data that has be presented to me shows most only take up to ~90% of their energy budget. What this means is if there is a problem, the animal has no reserves. They have mouths and the ability to process food for a reason. If they did not, they would not have such items. Nature is very good at weeding out non essentials in life forms ;)

My lobo is in a pretty shaded region...as if it were a chalice. Looking quite healthy. I feed OF and AP and it seems to be doing well with this. No target feeding.

Back