Our mission

SPS Poylp Disease

Are you running a skimmer on this tank? I assume so because you say carbon dosing, but I'm curious.

I wonder how much of a bacteria/viral load a skimmer would remove from the water column.
That tank hasn’t had any carbon dosing since late August I want to say. Give or a take a month on that time frame. When I was carbon dosing, the skimmer was on. The skimmer has been off since then. I am dumping reef roids and pellets into the tank to try and stop my no3/po4 dosing. The fuge has been reduced to an hour a day for about two months now.

Two auto feeder dump roids and pellets in constantly in an effort to reduce nutrient dosing but it only put a small dent in it

That tank hasn’t had any carbon dosing since late August I want to say. Give or a take a month on that time frame. When I was carbon dosing, the skimmer was on. The skimmer has been off since then. I am dumping reef roids and pellets into the tank to try and stop my no3/po4 dosing. The fuge has been reduced to an hour a day for about two months now.

Two auto feeder dump roids and pellets in constantly in an effort to reduce nutrient dosing but it only put a small dent in it
Previous times when this has solved itself have you had the skimmer running? If it's bacterial, the skimmer should help remove it from the water. Do skimmers affect viruses?

Might be worth running it and see if anything changes.

I say this because I was having all sorts of weirdness with my frag tank. The numbers weren't crazy, but it just wasn't happy. Finally I decided to flip on my skimmer I had for it, and almost the next day things looked like they were healthier.

The necrosis continues. A few new batches of dying tissue. The Bali slimer was growing so well until this. Some brown algae are forming on the tips.

I don’t think there is much to do other than watch as it goes through the rest of my sps.

A78562A0-D3C3-4377-BF96-5A877559CD4B.jpeg

8577630C-C455-4708-BEE8-E6B4495CF136.jpeg

As part of your troubleshooting, have you brought your basic parameters back to normal reef numbers yet? As I recall you were pushing the limits of very high Alk and pH before.

Might be time for donor live rock, kinda like a poo transplant. I know you're worried about hitchhikers, but none are as bad as this (minus maybe bryopsis)

My life at work is all about maintaining sterility, whereas with my tank I'm all about trying to introduce new organisms!

Might be time for donor live rock, kinda like a poo transplant. I know you're worried about hitchhikers, but none are as bad as this (minus maybe bryopsis)

My life at work is all about maintaining sterility, whereas with my tank I'm all about trying to introduce new organisms!
I think you are right. The best match up might be a little biome shake up. Gonna be tough to find a sizeable amount for 100 gallons though.

Back