Reef nutrition

Stn or being eaten?

Srt4eric

Vice President
BOD
Title says it all. This is over the course of a week. I have no idea what's going on in my tank. My numbers have been steady and no major changes.

20210617_201024.jpg

Is that a circular mark devoid of tissue in the circled area?
1623986291405.png

Pull the frag from the rock, invert it over a container of tank water (toss some melafix pond in it), and then vigorously swish it around to see if anything falls off.

Maybe I’m still not clear on what RTN/STN is, but isn’t it some bacteria that infects some area of the acro and spreads from the wound site? E.g. could be treated with antibiotics in theory. For this kind of random skin sloughing pattern I would have guessed this is just a dying acro. When I’ve seen this it’s usually an acro that has used up its stored energy due to adverse conditions (could be light, pests, having to constantly heal against damage from too-high flow…) and is just dying, there’s nothing that can be done for it.

I think I figured it out... I feel like an idiot but I guess my hanna po4 checker is way, way broken. I just checked with Salifert twice and my po4 is around 2. Pretty sure that would be an issue.

Yeah CTN normally from bottom up, spotty tissue loss over is some stressor. Did phosphate level change suddenly? Or tank get like above 85 that would stress an otherwise health coral?

Swing that water change hammer! Nice to have a significant percentage in waiting. I only have ~20% in reserve, so it is a different ballgame for me than when you have 50% and can fix the problem (at least a good percentage of it) now. Have fun moving water tonight!

Back