Kessil

storing bread?

OK Tuberider and whoever else bakes....how do you guys end up storing the baked goods. I know, I know, it'd be much better to just bake and eat, but scheduling doesn't quite allow for that all the time.

I found that store bought bagels (6 for 1.99 at safeway!) went moldy (mouldy?) when I kept them in a paper bag versus when they were in a plastic bag. Also, putting them in the fridge helps. For bread, the freezer seems to work well, which is a bit surprising, but you can't let it get covered in frost or else it'll turn to mush as you defrost it.

The fridge at work is super cold (but not freezing) and baked goods seem to be put into suspended animation there. So maybe lower temps really help. Not worth the extra electricity at home though.

V

DOH! Should have read a bit more carefully. How to store the finished product.

Bottom line is I don't make more than I can consume, and leave it at that.

I freeze, If i buy those big 2 packs of sliced bread at costco, I freeze 1 bag and it's good for a few months (wheat bread i dunno about white), I thaw and leave it in the fridge and toast it as needed. An old friend showed me this and i thought he was crazy but it works. Also after working for dryers over the summer i learned that a lot of grocery stores keep their bread frozen before it's put on the shelf

Baguettes, longs and other breads with more exposed surface areas are best eaten fresh, if you want to save them it can be inconvenient due to the odd shape. Generally I'll tighten down the paper bag and wrap with poly-film or some type of plastic wrap, that's good for around 48 hours. More substantial loaves with less surface area and a more dense crumb do fine in the freezer for a few weeks, they do get a little funky after a while though.

I have frozen dough balls that I make, ferment and freeze so when I want fresh bread or dinner rolls I have a selection of soft and hard doughs to choose from that have been portioned out, that way I get the benefits of a bulk knead yet still have single serving fresh bread. Oh yeah, that works well for pizza too!

pizza.jpg

Hey tube, how do you thaw your dough balls? I've been experimenting with different methods and haven't found a satisfactory way yet. Mainly mine are for pizza :D

Wasn't specifically talking about any type of bread Tube. But I guess the only real way to go is the frozen dough again. Ditto on Sfork, how do you go about thawing yours? Hell, for that matter how do you freeze them (plastic wrap in ziplock, tupperware, etc). Right now I'm stuck scarfing down 2 pans worth of focaccia since the get together that was supposed to have happened yesterday never did.

Hey, where do you live? I'll help you scarf!

Kinda off subject, but a friend showed me a few years ago that you can freeze milk. Never thought of it before that. Never could finish the two gallons before it got funky.

Sfork said:
Hey tube, how do you thaw your dough balls? I've been experimenting with different methods and haven't found a satisfactory way yet. Mainly mine are for pizza :D

The problem with freezing/thawing dough has more than one facet.

First, due to the rupturing of cell walls during the crystallization process conventional yeast quantities need to be upped. I run my yeast at 1% or so, if I plan on freezing I'll ramp it up to 2.5%+, I do use poolish to make pizza too, however that does not freeze worth a crap since my strain is more delicate so that dough is made a few days in advance and lives in the fridge to get funky. The extra yeast allows enough cells to remain intact to drive the secondary fermentation.

Let the dough ferment a bit before freezing, I let mine go a few days in the fridge before freezing, it seems to really help the transition to go from fridge to freezer.

I use zip lock bags to freeze and squeeze as much air out as possible. Thawing is a matter of taking out the dough ball in the morning and placing it in the fridge, you want to ramp up the thawing process slowly. Remove the dough ball a few hours before you wish to cook your pizza, if doing bread obviously you need more time to proof your loaf/rolls.

tuberider said:
Sfork said:

First, due to the rupturing of cell walls during the crystallization process conventional yeast quantities need to be upped. I run my yeast at 1% or so, if I plan on freezing I'll ramp it up to 2.5%+, I do use poolish to make pizza too, however that does not freeze worth a crap since my strain is more delicate so that dough is made a few days in advance and lives in the fridge to get funky. The extra yeast allows enough cells to remain intact to drive the secondary fermentation.

Let the dough ferment a bit before freezing, I let mine go a few days in the fridge before freezing, it seems to really help the transition to go from fridge to freezer.

I use zip lock bags to freeze and squeeze as much air out as possible. Thawing is a matter of taking out the dough ball in the morning and placing it in the fridge, you want to ramp up the thawing process slowly. Remove the dough ball a few hours before you wish to cook your pizza, if doing bread obviously you need more time to proof your loaf/rolls.
Somebody has been watching Good Eats ;)

Yeah, you definitely wanna do fridge then freezer to minimize the effects of water crystals.....
Same thing for meat freezing too for that matter.

Tumbleweed said:
tuberider said:
Sfork said:

Somebody has been watching Good Eats ;)

Somebody worked in the industry ;)

Huh, so about the same thing I've ended up doing. Just outta curiosity, and I might try it just for the helluvit, but ever frozen dough in flats?

Back