Jestersix

Strontium and Iodine Test kits

After some discussions at the BBQ I decided maybe I should start testing for Strontium and Iodine. I see that Salifert makes kits for both but they are a little pricey so I figured I'd solicite some help from those who have been in the hobby for a while. I've heard good and bad things about salifert in general and it looks like Seachem is the only other option for the most part.

Any suggestions? I just started using the Kent additives for both Strontium and Iodine so in put on that would be great. I'm doing 15% water changes every 10 days so I didn't think I even needed them but hey, what do I know :)

Any guidance on the additives and test for Strontium and Iodine would be appreciated.

I started started dosing iodine a few years ago for kind of a weird reason... Hunter at Lucky Goldfish and Steve at New Alameda both swore by it.

When I'd asked Hunter if he dosed iodine, he walked me over to his display tank and pointed at all the empty jugs of Kent iodine on the floor behind the tank. I asked him how much he dosed, and he said it was 2x the initial amount suggested by Kent. I asked if he tested for iodine, and he said no, and that the kits were too expensive.

I was kind of skeptical after hearing all that. I ended up buying a Salifert iodine test kit and started testing my iodine. I did find my iodine was a little low, so I started dosing Kent iodine. I played around with the dosing and tested the iodine levels. By the time I had zeroed in on my dosages, I was using 2x the recommended amount just like Hunter said. That kept my iodine levels at the high end of the normal range.

Since both test kits are VERY hit or miss (even very expesnive strontium tests are fical) I never bought into buying any of them. I've dosed both and never seen much other then algae from the iodine (I belive).

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=2656.msg27736#msg27736 date=1196704053]
Since both test kits are VERY hit or miss (even very expesnive strontium tests are fical) I never bought into buying any of them. I've dosed both and never seen much other then algae from the iodine (I belive).
[/quote]

So if I get an algae outbreak I put too much :)

Thanks Gresham and Norm! With my water change schedule do you guys think it's worth dosing either of the suppliments?

I dose neither if that helps :)

I'm not sure which created the outbrake, or even if they/it did. Every time I get a hair to dose either, same thing happens :/

Back